JL vs. Wetsounds. oh boy!

Notices

JL vs. Wetsounds. oh boy!

Old 09-23-2015, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JL vs. Wetsounds. oh boy!

Yes, I know..probably string the pot a little bit here

So my question is this.. I have a 38' Fountain with full staggers which leaves a smaller cockpit. So what I am looking for are speakers that sound really good in a smaller cockpit area.
Would mount these in front sides for pair #1 and probably behind front row on sides for pair #2... all around waist high. 2 subs under back bench.

My suggested configuration is:
4 JL M770's (would need to buy these)
2 10" JL subs (already have these on my other boat and would bring these over)
JL M1000/5v2 amp (already have this on my other boat and would bring this over to power the 4 JL 770's and 2 JL 10" subs)

I listened to the Wetsounds... not sure which models but it was Wetsounds speakers and amps. My initial thought was these are really good at projecting a long distance... towers light up a cove better than the JL's.
But I think the JL's sound better near field... in a smaller cockpit area. Better mid range and the tweeters did not sound as bright. Almost a warmer sound I think.

Thoughts here ?
Old 09-23-2015, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with this one. Al I can say is I've had two Jl digital amps fail in one year. Never had a failure before. Lost a 1200 by 1. Mono. And a 600 /4. Both chit on me. But loved them anyway
Old 09-23-2015, 12:44 PM
Registered

any thoughts on the mhd900/5 vs. m1000/5v2 for JL 770's?
Old 09-23-2015, 12:57 PM
Registered

If you want loud and clear, Wet Sounds is the only option. The XS808's are the 8" convertible component system to use if you have the room. Otherwise, XS-650's. I normally use those with Syndicate or Sinister amps. I've been a dealer for that brand for 8 years. Anyone can call the company and with 1 button press have any of the inside sales guys, tech support, or anyone to answer a simple question. I'm willing to bet that's not possible with JL Audio.

Where's the pictures of the JL's that had rust on the grills?
Old 09-23-2015, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

I installed 6 x 8.8" JLs & 2 x 10" subs in my Top Gun. Very happy with the sound so far, but have really only had it on the trailer.

The 8.8" are a pretty deep mount, so that may not be an option for you. I don't think you can go wrong either way, then again never heard Wetsounds. Surprised to hear the JL amps go bad, thank you for the heads up! Do you think they overheated? Was cranking mine and they do not seem to get hot.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No the 1200 by one day decided it wasn't going to turn on. Played fine weekend before. Sent back to Jl. 150 bucks sent me new amp. 600 / 4 just keeps going into protection mode. Running 4 8.8 at 4 ohm load. Sent it back too.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2 JL MHD amps that power 2 10s subs, 2 8.8s, 2 7.7s and 2 extra tweeters.

It's loud and clear.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:29 PM
Registered

I have wetsounds and a rockford setup. That is probably one of the loudest on lk st Clair on my tower I have a rev 410 and a set of rev 10 . Just at the base of the tower a set of rev 8
For the. Cockpit I have rockford 8" and 6's with a single 10 in a sealed box .
All syn series amps a2 Chanel 4channel and there 6 channel (I don't like the 6) with a rockford sub amp
This is the second system put on my boat I started with all Rockford and have been upgrading ever since it went in , I keep blowing the Rockford 8's (I'm sure I'm playing to there max all the time 5-7 hours every time out)
The wetsounds have been flawless the last two years with the only problem being the horn going into protect mood a few times
If durability and projected loudness is what u want I say go for the wetsounds. If u want the best sounding at a little less volume go for jl
Old 09-24-2015, 07:01 PM
Registered

Notch above.. I think you are coming to the same conclusion I did....
Old 09-24-2015, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Wet Sounds are pretty impressive, really impressive actually!

Nothing wrong with the JL's, besides being overrated, overpriced, and normally underpowered (user error).

I also like the Focal but am happy with a properly set up Alpine, Kicker, or Rockford setup. Just no Fusion speakers or AMPS! (head units and remotes are ok)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.