Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Electronics
Adding Mercury NMEA 2000 Gateway to 2004 Merc 525 EFI's >

Adding Mercury NMEA 2000 Gateway to 2004 Merc 525 EFI's

Notices

Adding Mercury NMEA 2000 Gateway to 2004 Merc 525 EFI's

Old 02-12-2016, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts

This is great. I am probably 2 months away from my install (due to weather)... I will start putting together my parts list and post so you guys can look it over.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Sounds like you've got it figured out correctly. I also agree you can skip the Jbox. Sorry for the late response, was away from the PC for a couple weeks.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would you skip the Jbox with twin 525's? How else would you plug both motors into the gateway?
Old 02-18-2016, 12:43 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

The Jbox is simply an "easy" connection hub for the Merc network cables. No matter what the setup, Merc, NMEA, ect, all CAN networks consists of two twisted wires, CAN-H & CAN-L, along with a 120ohm resistor between those wires at each end of the run. Your gateway requires a 12v power source, which I believe is provided from the NMEA network in this design.

I mistakenly thought Scagburner skipped the Jbox on his setup in the other thread. But after reading it again, he ended up using one. So sorry for that confusion. Easy plug-N-play includes the Merc cables and Jbox.

However "technically," you could skip the Jbox and connect directly to the CANbus pins on each ECU. Run those together then into the gateway with two resistors, and it will work just fine for a total investment of about $3.00. I use this setup daily for bench testing ECU's and gateways.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
The Jbox is simply an "easy" connection hub for the Merc network cables. No matter what the setup, Merc, NMEA, ect, all CAN networks consists of two twisted wires, CAN-H & CAN-L, along with a 120ohm resistor between those wires at each end of the run. Your gateway requires a 12v power source, which I believe is provided from the NMEA network in this design.

I mistakenly thought Scagburner skipped the Jbox on his setup in the other thread. But after reading it again, he ended up using one. So sorry for that confusion. Easy plug-N-play includes the Merc cables and Jbox.

However "technically," you could skip the Jbox and connect directly to the CANbus pins on each ECU. Run those together then into the gateway with two resistors, and it will work just fine for a total investment of about $3.00. I use this setup daily for bench testing ECU's and gateways.
So do all (3) Blue cables from the motors to the J Box need to have termination resistors on both ends?
Old 02-23-2016, 07:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jriggs
I have a 2004 Fountain 47 Lightning (triple 525 efi) without smartcraft, and am going to be upgrading my chartplotter. What I would like to do is also add the Mercury Gateway NMEA 2000 so I can also monitor engine function, fuel burn rate etc. From what I understand this should be possible with standard Mercury plug and play parts, but am having a hard time finding what parts I will need. If anyone has already done this to their pre 2006 boat, and can shed some light on this, I would greatly appreciate it. Looking for parts lists, numbers, etc.

Thanks,

JR
Did it. Nice because you get codes for alarm. Not cheap but nice having second opinion relative to analog gauges. Interfaced to Garmin chart plotter
Old 02-29-2016, 09:18 AM
Registered

completed this on my 05 fountain with 2 525's in it and had everything hooked up and running in about 15 minutes this weekend. You do not have to have termination resistors on both ends of the 3 cables. All you need is the termination resistor on the jbox itself.