SmartCraft Help Requested >

SmartCraft Help Requested

Notices

SmartCraft Help Requested

Old 08-15-2016, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default SmartCraft Help Requested

Hello. I was hoping someone with Smartcraft/CAN experience could help me sort some stuff out.
I have a pair of Mercury 525 EFI’s in my 2009 Cigarette Top Gun.
The prior owner had some issues with the analog gauges. The mechanic told him that the AGI boxes kept “blowing” and they couldn’t figure out why. So, they decided to put a pair of SmartCraft SC1000 gauges under the dash and used an analog adapter off of them to feed the analog gauges. Thus, bypassing the AGI boxes. To accomplish this, it appears as though they added a second 4 port junction box and connected each engine to it’s own junction box, and then fed each Smartcraft gauge from each junction box. Normal operation/factory would be to use a single j-box, right?

Right or wrong, it all seems to be working fine. Until….

What I am trying to do is feed my Northstar M84 with Smartcraft data.
I have a Navman dual engine gateway S/N#: SCNB-GW-2E
When I hook it into 1 of the junction boxes, it sees the one engine. And visa versa the other one. As I expected. I wouldn’t expect it to see both engines at the same time, yet. Correct?
We then created a Y cable to join the two junction boxes and feed that to the gateway. It still only sees one engine at a time, or so the Northstar M84 says so.
Further testing…I unplugged the SmartCraft gauges and plugged both engines and the gateway into a single j-box (eliminating the Y cable). Still only saw one engine.

Questions:
1. Should the Northstar be seeing both engines using that Y cable? If so, are we missing a wire/pin?
2. Should it be seeing both using a single j-box? If so, are we missing a wire/pin?
3. Should we fix the AGI boxes blowing issue, first? If so, anyone have ideas as to why they would be failing? The gauges are under the dash and aren’t viewable, anyways. So eliminating them would be fine with me.

I guess it’s possible the gateway is bad?

I cant find any good wiring schematics that define what each wire within the 10pin connector do. Mine appears to only use 5 of the 10.

Sorry for the long story. If I left any details out, let me know and I will try to include them.

Unfortunately, I wont be back at my boat for a couple of weeks. So I wont be able to do any immediate testing of theories.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 10-03-2016, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Hey guys, wanted to follow up with the solution, in case someone else comes across this post with similar questions.

In short, I needed two things:

1. Both of my engines were still labeled "Starboard". Needed to hook the laptop up and tell Port that is was "Port".
2. I needed the CAN Link Harness (Part # 84-891957K01) to join the two junction boxes together.

Now I can see both engines and tell them apart.

Last edited by ryanot1; 10-03-2016 at 03:11 PM.