New To The Family

Notices

New To The Family

Old 07-28-2006, 08:35 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New To The Family

OK gang. Yesterday I just put a deposit on a 2007 28 Daytona with 496 HO's - and I can't tell you how pumped I am to get my butt in that boat.

This is my 4th boat. I have had 2 Express cruisers, and just traded my 2002 Carver Motor Yacht towards this new beast.

We bought the Carver per the wifes request, because she wanted to cruise in comfort. Unfortunately, we were only going on 2-3 cruises each season - not enough to justify having a condo with propellers sitting at the docks - especially since we live right on lake Ontario.

So daddy is buying a toy.

I am being told by the dealer that it'll be 6-8 weeks for delivery. Is that what I should expect? I'd really like to get in it this season, but if it arrives in Oct - our season is done.

I am being told that the boat will run from 95-101 mph - yeah baby! - can't wait. But knowing these are Mercs, I've always been trained to run them at 3600-3800 RPM's on my cruisers. And only occassionly bump them to 4k for very short period of time.

What do you guys do for best practices? How hot are you running your motors and for how long? I love the idea of going 100 mph, and am thrilled about potentially being able to get to Tronoto in 1 hr instead of 3.5 - but what do you guys really cruise at (mph & rpms)?...and what kind of range do you expect?
Old 07-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: New To The Family

Welcome to the family...its a good family to be in. I also have a 28 Daytona and can only say great things about it. I had a 496 HO in my last boat and once those things are broken in you can run them at 5000 R.P.M.'s all day long...I know this because I did!
Old 07-28-2006, 04:21 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on the purchase!

I too had an HO in the last boat and ran the heck out of the thing... The new owner has also run the crap out of it with no problems at all. Run it like you stole it and have fun...
Old 08-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grads2112
Welcome to the family...its a good family to be in. I also have a 28 Daytona and can only say great things about it. I had a 496 HO in my last boat and once those things are broken in you can run them at 5000 R.P.M.'s all day long...I know this because I did!

What was your cruising speed at 5k RPMS?

How many miles would you be able to travel before you'd have to fill up again? - I am trying to determine how fast I can get to Toronto.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-02-2006, 01:06 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adrenaline Junkie
What was your cruising speed at 5k RPMS?

How many miles would you be able to travel before you'd have to fill up again? - I am trying to determine how fast I can get to Toronto.

Thanks in advance!
My last boat with the 496ho was a 26' Eagle. My 28' Daytona has twin 525's and I have never measured in miles how far it goes... usually I measure it in minutes...lol