She Has Landed!

Notices

She Has Landed!

Old 09-17-2006, 07:33 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default She Has Landed!

My new 28 ICC Daytona landed on Thursday - WOW!!!

What the heck was I doing messing around with cruisers all these years???

I had no idea it would be so much fun.

Still learning the ropes - had a friend out with me - who's had performance boats for years - showed me the ropes. On a full tank of gas and just the 2 of us we pulled 96 mph GPS. What a thrill.

We were out messsing around in lake Ontario we're heading West - 2 Formula Fast Tech's were heading east and racing each other. We knew them, but they obviously didn't know it was us, we past them, waved to them, turned around, caught up to them and as we began to pass them, they put the hammers down - then they got a great view of my rooster tail. Afterwards, I pulled up along side of them, and they freaked when they saw who was behind the wheel - last time they saw me, I was at the help of a Carver Motor Yacht. Too much fun...

One thing I'm still learning how to best overcome is getting on plane. It wasn't so bad with 1/4 tank of gas, but with a full tank of gas, it certainly takes some finess. Seems my Port prop cavitates first every time if we come out of the hole too agressive. Is that common to have one side consistently cavitate before the other? Is there any secret to this, other than knowing your boat and knowing how quickly you can accelerate out of the hole and just gassing it enough to get you out of the hole without cavitating - then once it grabs, and is on plane - you can get on it?
Old 09-17-2006, 09:38 PM
Registered

Default Re: She Has Landed!

Originally Posted by Adrenaline Junkie
My new 28 ICC Daytona landed on Thursday - WOW!!!

What the heck was I doing messing around with cruisers all these years???

I had no idea it would be so much fun.

Still learning the ropes - had a friend out with me - who's had performance boats for years - showed me the ropes. On a full tank of gas and just the 2 of us we pulled 96 mph GPS. What a thrill.

We were out messsing around in lake Ontario we're heading West - 2 Formula Fast Tech's were heading east and racing each other. We knew them, but they obviously didn't know it was us, we past them, waved to them, turned around, caught up to them and as we began to pass them, they put the hammers down - then they got a great view of my rooster tail. Afterwards, I pulled up along side of them, and they freaked when they saw who was behind the wheel - last time they saw me, I was at the help of a Carver Motor Yacht. Too much fun...

One thing I'm still learning how to best overcome is getting on plane. It wasn't so bad with 1/4 tank of gas, but with a full tank of gas, it certainly takes some finess. Seems my Port prop cavitates first every time if we come out of the hole too agressive. Is that common to have one side consistently cavitate before the other? Is there any secret to this, other than knowing your boat and knowing how quickly you can accelerate out of the hole and just gassing it enough to get you out of the hole without cavitating - then once it grabs, and is on plane - you can get on it?

Are you running 4 blades or 5 blades? 5 blades will work wonders for planing. Other wise invest in a Tunnel Tab.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:54 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

What motors are you running?
Old 09-18-2006, 12:21 AM
Registered

My guess would be 496 mag's.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:03 PM
Registered

Pictures????
Old 09-19-2006, 08:12 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by stangjeeper
Are you running 4 blades or 5 blades? 5 blades will work wonders for planing. Other wise invest in a Tunnel Tab.
OK...here's how I'm rigged:
I have twin 496 HO's, I do have a tunnel tab, and I have a 4 blade prop.

I start with drives trimmed all the way in and tab all the way down...but right about 2500 rpms, my port prop blows out if I am too aggressive - I need to ease into it - and it can take some time to get on plane - especially if I have 5 adults in the boat and a full tank of gas.

If I go with a 5 blade prop - what is the rade off? Will that give me better planing, yet worse top end?

I thought I had seen on Eliminator web site a picture of a 28 ICC with same motors taking - that also showed a picture of it's Speedo showing 101 mph - we can't squeeze any more than 96mph at 5k RPM's...will a 5 blade prop get me those 5mph?

My pix were too large to post here, so I posted them on my site. Click on the following URL - and click yes if a security message comes up:

https://mail2.scsinet.com/darrinsdoc...4?OpenDocument
Old 09-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is beautiful. I would drive it slow so everyone could admire it (NOT). I would call Brett at Bblades and talk to him about props. He is the man when it comes to props.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Registered

congrats- I'm betting the last 5 comes from an agressive x, standoffs and imco type lowers with labbed props. 96 is great out of the box
Old 09-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Registered

I also have a 2006 28' Daytona except mine has 525's in it. I don't know how much speed I am losing off of the top end by using 5 blades because I can't even get mine up on plane with 4 blades, probably because of the high X-dimension. With 2 people in the boat with 4 blades and the tab down all the way I just kept blowing out the props. I tried for a good half hour to get that thing on plane. With the 5 blades and 6 people, full gear, full tanks of gas the boat launches up on plane no problem. Top speed to date with the 5 blades is 112 m.p.h. Here's a few pics of mine.
Attached Thumbnails She Has Landed!-10fm8.jpeg   She Has Landed!-28hy4.jpeg   She Has Landed!-img1135hu5og9.jpg  

Old 09-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Registered

I also have an 06 28 ICC w/ 496 Mag HO power. I am seeing 96 mph with 30p bravo props & 1" shorty IMCO lowers.

I have been told the boat has ran 104 so i am trying...

Dave

BTW- What canopies do you have and how is the visibility ?

Quick Reply: She Has Landed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.