Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Eliminator
26 Eagle V question >

26 Eagle V question

Notices

26 Eagle V question

Old 06-17-2008, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Good to wear your lifejackets going that fast. I always wear my lifelines when ripping hard. Greg ought to be chiming in here soon. No pun intended
Old 06-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdbrggs
Thats funny because the grab handle complaint has been made several times already! I took it out a couple of weekends ago and it was fairly rough. I ran it to about 75 and made a few laps around the lake which is probably about 15 miles long. I started to feel a lot more confident in the boat and happy about everything then I ran up on some glass water and it started walking again. I ran the power back and it came out of it. I think you are exactly right with more seat time. I was thinking of going out there on a nice day and trying to trim it to walk at lower speeds and practice pulling out of it. I wish I would have gotten some dual with Greg so I would have a clue of what to do. I studied up on correcting the chine walk and talked to Greg. I think I have pretty good idea just need to practice. Greg sent me the video of when he was running 88 and if you watch at the end it starts walking. I think right when he gets out of the power. I admit I am scared of the boat after that first ride. Might take a bit to get over it! I don't want to go swimming!

I've found that throttleing down isn't necessarily the correct thing to do to get the chine out. Most of the time, if mine is doing it, i have too light a load, and too much trim. All i do is nudge the trim back down a couple of bumps; and keep the hammer down. Don't bury the trim, just a couple of bumps. Also, you will have to learn to bump steer when it does start chining. But if you don't want to drive the boat that hard, then you can't trim up much. But you will sacrifice speed....
Old 06-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Revd Up
Good to wear your lifejackets going that fast. I always wear my lifelines when ripping hard. Greg ought to be chiming in here soon. No pun intended
Hey bud, i got your call. I've been super busy as hell, just bought a house. I'll give you a call one of these nights. No water to boat on anyways, just drink beer and float. I don't have the boat back together yet anyways. Soon....
Old 06-17-2008, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...Great thread...
Lots of really good advice.
When I first got my "Blown"Eagle,I started off by running 50mph,when I got comfortable,bumped it to 60,then 70 etc,just trying to get a feel for the platform,by the time I hit the 80's I felt very comfortable with the boat.

This is gonna sound strange,but after TONS of seat time,I can actually tell when she's gonna dance,you can pretty much feel what it's going to do,prior to it happening,more or less telegraphs what's about to transpire,I adjust trim accordingly.
As rev'd up alluded to bump steering(I call it counter steering)helps counter the chine as well,it's actually a lot of fun to do and I love the challenge of keeping her up on the pad.
In Havasu,I've raced pretty much EVERY type of 25-28 V- bottom Muscle boat built.
Some of the 25' hulls from some of the major builders,have no business,running anything over 425 hp.I've raced a couple that were so scary I still can't believe the owners even attempt to run over 70.it's nuts,those platforms were never meant to house big H.P.
The 25 Eagle is by no means perfect,but gawd it's a blast to drive,and is a whole bunch better than the vast majority of the boats in it's class...
dvdbrggs,
,I'm on Mtn. time as well,cell's always on,feel free to call anytime.
Mychal

Last edited by Mychal; 06-17-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Dave! I have been watching this post recently and see your frustration. The boat did chine walk easily when I bought it. The bottom edge work fixed that. It does take a while to drive to learn how to drive it. No put down here. You have a monster in your hands. Tiger by the tail. When you are on top and it starts to tip you have to steer into it and when it goes the other way same thing. You will look like a madman at the wheel ! Looks like slicing and choppin up and down. fast. I mean fast. If you can watch some allison or Hydrostream outboard guys you will see what I mean. The 88 Mph videos were some wakes I was coming into on the Mississippi that rocked it thats why I slowed it. The Ozarck ones were not wakes but you can see the boat light and loose. All of that said thats why I liked the 28" pitch prop. It planed easily, accelerated like a dragster , it was easier on the drive, and who wants to cruise at 90 anyway? by then they are behind you anyway. : ) I really hope you have fun and kick some ass with that boat cause its a great machine. Greg
Old 06-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Registered

Thanks Greg and Everyone else. I put the 28 back on and I am going to try and do some more testing this week after work or this weekend. Like I said the first day I drove it it was glass smooth. I blamed the prop but I am sure it was driving skills combined with the boat not liking the glass water. The second time I ran it with Nick's labbed 30 B1 I ran it up to 87 on a hand held GPS and it felt good. The water was probably ideal. Aprox. 1-2' chop. I was just real gun shy and backed out as soon as I felt something weird which was probably just the water. That was at 5400 rpm and it felt like it still was accelerating hard. The third and last time I ran it I was still running the 30 B1 and never went over 75 in 2-3' white capping conditions. I started feeling really good in the boat until I hit the smooth water and it started walking taking me by surprise. Then all my confidence went away in a flash! I have never really rode in or driven a v-boat this fast and never a boat with a stepped and padded v. There are not any around here for that matter. I have a buddy with a 110 mph 28' Warlock that is always riding with me but cat experience doesn't help is this case! I'll keep you posted on how the practicing goes, and yes I will wear my life jacket and take it easy! Hey Greg one other thing did the amount of fuel in this thing ever make it feel more/less stable?
Old 07-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Registered

Well with a little seat time I now feel totally comfortable in the boat. The boat will run to 85 no problem and I am able to feel the chine come on and correct it. I have found a sweet spot in the trim where it almost doesn't want to chine walk at all and I am pretty sure there is some more speed there when I grow the nuts to trim it up a bit and really drive it.............

Thanks guys!
I will keep you posted.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:14 PM
Registered

Default How's it today?

Originally Posted by dvdbrggs
Well with a little seat time I now feel totally comfortable in the boat. The boat will run to 85 no problem and I am able to feel the chine come on and correct it. I have found a sweet spot in the trim where it almost doesn't want to chine walk at all and I am pretty sure there is some more speed there when I grow the nuts to trim it up a bit and really drive it.............

Thanks guys!
I will keep you posted.
I read this long and interesting blog.
Do you still have this boat? Set up now?
Thanks Bill
Old 08-23-2019, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure he has still got that boat. I used to own that boat
Old 09-08-2019, 10:06 PM
Registered

Default 25 eagle top speed recipe

Originally Posted by HPJunkie
Not sure he has still got that boat. I used to own that boat
What would you suggest for the best top speed and overall performance in a 25 eagle?
I bought a 97 closed bow, bravo 1, k tabs, 28 p 4 blade prop, hp 500 ( 502 or 540 not sure yet ) still running carb, etc.full hydro steering.
Ran about 71, but one tab is stuck down. Felt pretty good.
I'm thinking 4.0 L Whipple, maybe 30 labbed prop, fuel injection, stand off box. Needed??
My tabs are mounted flat, but saw someone with them moved out matching hull angle( about 30 degree off water). Would this help chine walk?
Any suggestions would be great. I'm in northern California, near lake Berressa.
Thanks Bill
[email protected]
707 293 7805

Quick Reply: 26 Eagle V question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.