Hydromotive P5s

Notices

Hydromotive P5s

Old 07-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdnca1
NJDAVE:

You must be running the "P5X" then if they look like bravo's (round ears) as many call them...and it does NOT surprise me that those work for you. They lift the bow nicely with std length drives...with short drives they lift the transom too much IMO....but again that is on boats with boxes. "P5" is a clever prop....

Max rpm is a matter of opinion..... We routinely run 500 HP's and EFI's to 57000-5900 with never any problems. Cats like prop speed and rpm, daytona's included.

I'd try the Imco cavitation plates before spending big $ on a center tab. I know someone that had a 28 with 36" bravo's and short drives with no center tab who could get on plane with the cavitaion plates.
JD I am looking at the reciept & these props are not the P5X
they are P5's. Maybe you should try the P5 you might get more speed than you are with the 5X ? Do you have a center tab? If so how do you use it? All the way down to come on plane & then all the way up at speed? They are very expensive & I dont think I would want to install it myself.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Registered

Dave....Maybe I should try the P5, but everyone I know who has tried them on a 28 has not been happy with the results. You stated your props look just like a bravo....which P5X's do....P5's are clever props, so that is why everyone is calling them that.....clear as mudd.... take a picture and post it and we'll know exactly what you have.

Now that I think about it I do remember someone having luck with the P5's, I think his boat was a 99 also....one difference was his motors center to center (propshaft to propshaft) were like 2 or 3" further apart than mine or most others I had been around. (Mine are 62 1/2" apart) Apparently Eliminator was experimenting with the placement in 99....I think he even turned his props "out" vs "in", but can't remember for sure.

I do not have center tab, and have no issues getting up with P5X OR bravo's...unless I run 36" bravo's which cause some planing issues with lots of people and fuel. I do have boxes though. I do not run cavitation plates, but probably will in the future. Before I had boxes, I had slight problems getting on plane with full fuel and 4-6 people with 30 bravo's. That was 5 yrs ago though.

Last edited by jdnca1; 07-05-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Registered

Here is P5, (left)...see how straight the edge is......and P5X (right)...see the "round ear".....
Attached Thumbnails Hydromotive P5s-p5.jpg   Hydromotive P5s-p5x.jpg  
Old 07-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jdnca1
Here is P5, (left)...see how straight the edge is......and P5X (right)...see the "round ear".....
JD I will take a pic Monday. I am sending them back to Hydromotive to have the larger de fuser ring put on them. They seem to think this will help. I will measure the distance between the prop shafts this week end & post the number. FYI I turn my props in & last year tried them out & the boat was the same on top speed but I did not like the way it cornered in a turn so I keep them turning inward.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by NJDave
Bye the way I didn’t mention that I do not have any center tab on this boat. I called Eliminator about this problem & they told me that I should install a Dana center tab and this will cure my problem. I want to try having Hydromotive install the larger flair ring / defuser ring on the prop 1st to see if it can hook up at low speeds. The crazy thing to me is how locked up the boat is after it is on plane. When I hit the throttle at 40 MPH it pins you to the seat and the boat just keeps going faster & faster. My GPS Speedo is a livorsi & only goes to 100 MPH but I have already gone past the 100 mark. I am going to have to get a 120 MPH Speedo to see the new top speed. The boat feels like it will hit the rev limiters if I have the balls to keep going. These new speeds take some time to get use to. I am cautious at 100 MPH and above. As for the reason the boat likes these props I have no Idea but why do you guys keep calling them cleavers? They are not cleaver props. The blades look similar to the bravo 4 blades just 1 more blade.
fyi...I do have a center tab on mine. I use it to get on plane - once on plane I put it all the way up and don't touch it again until I have to get back on plane.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:34 AM
Registered

Yeah, everyone I know with 28's turns them in for the same reasons...but there was that one mentioned that I'm pretty sure turned them out..

How does your boat run with whichever props you have. Do you notice much additional bow lift? or does it still run pretty flat like most 28's do...? I never messed around with props before I installed boxes.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF you all can successfully run P5 props then this opens the doors for different manufacturers props, ie: Hering and Throttle Up CNC Props. If you are game and I have the correct pitch available for you, I can send you a set to try and then we will all know! Let me know.

Julie
Old 07-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Here is a link to Mercury gear ratios.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/mtboats/...earratios.html

I ran my props turning out for one season and really liked it around the dock. They did create more stern lift and a hop between 70 & 75.

I don't like extra stern lift because it requires more trim for my 28 to ride right. I like to keep the drives as level as possible in rought water such as a poker run.

My friend has a 99 28' with drives a couple of inches farther apart than mine and jdnca1's and he can run stern lifting props such as the P5s.

Jdnca1 is right about keeping the rpms above 5500. The 28 really likes the engines wound up.

Last edited by rbtnt; 08-28-2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:22 PM
Registered

I am surprised he can run the P5 as well. I have an 01 28 and I tried out a set of 30P P5's. The boat jumped up but no matter the trim the bow just felt stuck to the water. Top speed was similar to my 30p Bravos. I am back on the bravos now but i would like to try so P5X's or even the maximus one day, if i don't sell it soon. My 01 didn't like the P5..must be in the setup...
Old 07-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ZBODaytona
I am surprised he can run the P5 as well. I have an 01 28 and I tried out a set of 30P P5's. The boat jumped up but no matter the trim the bow just felt stuck to the water. Top speed was similar to my 30p Bravos. I am back on the bravos now but i would like to try so P5X's or even the maximus one day, if i don't sell it soon. My 01 didn't like the P5..must be in the setup...
Sorry I didn’t get back with you guys but nothing to report. I sent back my props to Hydromotive & I have confirmed they are P5 Not P5X so I guess I have a unique set up. I did not measure the distance between the drive ( just forgot) but I will measure this week end. When I get the props back with the bigger Diffuser rings I will report my results. I hope to get on plane with more low end grip and keep the same mid range & Top end results. If not I will have to decide whether to install a center tab (Ouch on the cost) or try the P5x next. That is probably what I would try. I will let you all know.

Thanks All for the input!!

Quick Reply: Hydromotive P5s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.