(28 Daytona Lp single motor) help W/ Some Questions Please

Notices

(28 Daytona Lp single motor) help W/ Some Questions Please

Old 04-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (28 Daytona Lp single motor) help W/ Some Questions Please

Question 1:

Looking to buy a 04 28daytona LP with open bow. I have a two part question.........

What do you guys think the boat should run with 600 to 650hp? extension box and x I assume is pretty similar to the newer boats. Drive is 1:5 with imco lower. The owner has the 600 to 650hp in the boat currently.

Question 2:
Does an extension box typically raise the bow or drive it in the water? I assume with an open bow that it would help to get the bow out of the water, right?

I have an 800 to 830hp efi that i was looking to put in this boat but am afraid that it won't run. I have a family which consist of a little girl, so my intention is not to run everyone on the lake anymore, but to have a boat that is respectable and runs strong. I am familiar with the open bow boats potentially running a little slower, but was under the impression based on my research would run with my motor near 93mph or close. I need some real experience here and would love some help before i buy this boat.

Anyone .......................
Old 04-19-2008, 12:46 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

28 with a Single is hard on drives. granted a lp will be better than a tall deck but still hard on the drive with all that weight.The extension box will help get the drive back into clean water,thus making it easier to get on plane .

May want to looking into something with twins.
The difference in fuel economy isnt as bad as some would have you belive.
I currently have a 30 daytona with an open bow and twin 496mag ho's that runs 88 all day long best is 92 mph with 3 people and 1/2 tanks. Much smoother ride than a single.
It also happens to be for sale.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by QWKRN U
28 with a Single is hard on drives. granted a lp will be better than a tall deck but still hard on the drive with all that weight.The extension box will help get the drive back into clean water,thus making it easier to get on plane .

May want to looking into something with twins.
The difference in fuel economy isnt as bad as some would have you belive.
I currently have a 30 daytona with an open bow and twin 496mag ho's that runs 88 all day long best is 92 mph with 3 people and 1/2 tanks. Much smoother ride than a single.
It also happens to be for sale.
hey what size props are you running bud? dont mean to hi jack the thread im just curious. I have the same power same size boat but in a V running 26 bravo 1's doing mid 80's
Old 04-19-2008, 06:52 AM
Registered

I think you will be very lucky if you get this boat in the 90's. with single 800hp without tearing up drives. As stated above the LP is faster then the tall deck but the bowrider is the killer of speed. In my boat speed lost with walk thru is in neighbor of 10 mph. A walk thru has a lot of weight up front and has extra weight added when made to hold boat together. A non walkthru will cost about 3-5 mphs

I have been proven wrong before.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Registered

Thanks for all of your information on this.

I don't know the prop size, but i will find that out today.

Can anyone tell me what the extension box does besides puts the drive back in cleaner water? Doesn't it get the bow out of the water when running? I was under the impression having the box would help the bow rider with a little lift?

Thanks for giving me a heads up on the twin setup, but i really am only looking for a single right now. I have had a few twin cats and loved them, but for now I have a great single that i would like to use and get me some decent numbers out of. I am trying to incorporate my family into this equation and the mid cabin open bow is nice for them.

To be perfectly honest, i don't want the boat if i can't get in the 90's with my motor. I was willing to deal with a 92mph with this setup, but not really anything less given my motor setup. I too was guessing 3 to 5mph drag because of the mid cabin open bow, but that was about all I anticipated. I know there are some people out there with these older LP's that have around 800hp running 100, so i figured 93 to 95 was realistic.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Registered

On some boats the extension boxes can create speed. On our 30 daytona I believe it was around 7mph but our 27 they said there was no change in speeds. And yes it can help create lift Depends on the hull and if I remember correctly the 28 was one of the boats that where faster with boxes. An easy way to know is call eliminator and ask.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FOXMXPSYCHO
hey what size props are you running bud? dont mean to hi jack the thread im just curious. I have the same power same size boat but in a V running 26 bravo 1's doing mid 80's
1.36 drives with 30p bravo 4 blades
Old 04-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Registered

A 28 Lp Runs Very Flat And In A Single The Ride Is Fantastic 650 Hp You Shouldnt Have Probloms With The Drive, 800 Hp Thats Another Story, Bow Section Is Heavy And Will Loos Quit A Bit Of Speed But Increases The Ride, Drive The Boat And Then Decide, Ther Is No Better Ride In That Size Than The 28 Lp Single.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:52 PM
Registered

Buy a 28 w/ twin 496 HO's
Check the speedo on this one w/ lab bravo 32p
Attached Thumbnails (28 Daytona Lp single motor) help W/ Some Questions Please-img00141.jpg  
Old 04-23-2008, 02:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MikaylaHunterCig
Buy a 28 w/ twin 496 HO's
Check the speedo on this one w/ lab bravo 32p
how much weight was on that boat during those speeds with that size props? pretty nice for HO's now im thinking about running something higher then a 26p on mine.

Quick Reply: (28 Daytona Lp single motor) help W/ Some Questions Please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.