Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Eliminator
Skiing behind a 25 or 26 Daytona? >

Skiing behind a 25 or 26 Daytona?

Notices

Skiing behind a 25 or 26 Daytona?

Old 02-28-2002, 10:34 PM
Allan

Question Skiing behind a 25 or 26 Daytona?

One of my friends is thinking of buying a boat and wanted to know if anyone could water ski behind one of these boats. I have a 33' Daytona and my wife and friends have no problems at all doing so. Anyone have any thoughts on that

Old 03-01-2002, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can it be done by an experienced skier? Yes, I'm sure it can. Other watersports will be tough as you need to be 20ish to do it right. You'll probably want a longer line to get behind the spray.

Is the Daytona a good ski boat? NFW! Do you want to try and teach novices behind a Daytona? Only if you want to frustrate the heck out of them. If power is meager and you've got a crowd a skier on a slalom may have the bow in the air for an awful long time.

A daytona is a big investment, if they like watersports a lot I would not buy unless they spent a day behind one first trying all the sports they enjoy.

If they live near me I'll give them a tow, they'd probably prefer my Tige inboard though. good luck!
Old 03-01-2002, 04:33 PM
RickerTX

I have a 25 Daytona and have had many Tournament ski boats. Obviously, the tournament boats are much better at towing skiers no matter what they are riding. I did, however, teach my 10 yo nephew to ski behind my Daytona last summer. He got up on the third try and never had a problem. I do have a 90 foot Barefoot skiing rope but with him we just used 75 feet of it because his weight did not require much speed to keep him on plane.

I have skied behind my boat as have a few others and have done just fine. The wakes take a little getting used to (the tunnel). My son even wakeboards behind it when he can't get a pull form a tournament boat. But for the most part we just ride in our Daytona and occassionally pull a tube for the little kids.

Long and short answer....you can ski behind a 25 Daytona, but don't buy one if you plan on skiing a lot. There are better boats for this activity. Oh yea, mine has a stock 502mpi with a bravo I. No problems planing even pulling skiers.

Rick

Old 03-01-2002, 04:47 PM
Registered

Default I stand corrected!

Looks like Rick is the man with the hands on experience, sounds better than I imagined. Kids on a pair of trainers are awfully easy to pull up, I taught mine pulling him by hand from across the cove.

Rick, have you actually pulled up 200+ lb skiers on a single conventional slalom ski? I can imagine a pair of ski's being fine but singles and inexperience behind a Daytona still sounds ugly to me. Just curious!
Old 03-01-2002, 05:37 PM
RickerTX

Thumbs up

Catitude,

Let me qualify my remarks. I am a very experienced skier and not very small (6'0", 215 lbs.). I skied competitively for years going back to my teens. My skiing friends that come on my boat are also very accomplished skiers. So I have not experienced any problems geting up behind my Daytona.

Regarding the youngster....I have tought several hundred kids to ski in my days and he is a talented little athlete. He has great balance and strength for his age and probably is not the best test case for seeing if inexperinced skiers can handle the Daytona's awkwardness as a ski boat. No trouble so far though.

R

Old 03-01-2002, 11:20 PM
Allan

Thanks guy's Now hopefuly I can talk him into the cat idea. I'm just not a Vee person anymore. Once you go cat, you cant go back

Old 03-03-2002, 08:33 AM
Registered

All 4 of my kids learned to ski behind my 25 Daytona,I have pulled on a wake board and atube. This boat has less of a wake than the 25 V we had before. We regularly tube off my buddies Blown 21 Daytona jet.
Old 03-07-2002, 08:09 PM
Donnie

No problem Allan they are great to ski behind

Old 03-10-2002, 08:41 AM
Registered

I know all the water sports that can take place behind a boat...BUT....those who have High Performance Boats..should check the insurance policy as to limitations on water sports of the boat .......especially water skiing .....Just my $.02

Last edited by enticer; 03-25-2002 at 07:05 AM.