Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Eliminator
28 Daytona - Hard to get on a plane, lots of blowout..What next? >

28 Daytona - Hard to get on a plane, lots of blowout..What next?

Notices

28 Daytona - Hard to get on a plane, lots of blowout..What next?

Old 10-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikaylaHunterCig
My 2006 28' W/ 496 H.O.'s has very little issue getting on plane.
IMCO 2" Short w/ 32 lab bravos 104 with two big dudes and lot's of fuel.
2 adults / 2 kids , 3/4 fuel is a non-issue. It does have a little bow lift but rolls over nice.
A little trick i learned years ago is to get on plane while turning the steering wheel. The angle helps pop the boat up a bit quicker and really helps with a heavy load.
I figure this is a small issue to deal with thats only a tiny fraction of time in a day of boating.
BTW- I can easily tow wake boards as well.
Dave,

Can you post up a couple pics of the X on your boat (from behind the prop and from the side)? I will see if I can snap a couple of my x today as well to compare. I am really curious how high your props sit in comparison to mine. However you have your boat setup is clearly perfect given the speeds you are seeing. I have never seen anything past 93.x on my boat......
Old 10-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Registered

93 mph !!! Somethings really wrong

Maybe call Tony a tthe factory to look up your X and have him give you advice.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just curious but do you try backing off the throttle once it reaches 3000 rpms? My 30 will blow out if I leave the throttles dashboarded. But the method I use is. 1/2 throttle, once the rpms start to rise rapidly I pull the throttles back slowly. The boat falls over and off we go. Im running 1.36 ratio drives and 30p props on a 30. Its a lil different set up but what Ive noticed is the 496's dont seem to have the power to spin the larger props unless you finesse them getting on plane.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:14 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MikaylaHunterCig
93 mph !!! Somethings really wrong

Maybe call Tony a tthe factory to look up your X and have him give you advice.
That's what I suggest...call (951) 681-1222 and ask for John Lovell...he'll set ya straight...
Old 10-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by QWKRN U
Just curious but do you try backing off the throttle once it reaches 3000 rpms? My 30 will blow out if I leave the throttles dashboarded. But the method I use is. 1/2 throttle, once the rpms start to rise rapidly I pull the throttles back slowly. The boat falls over and off we go. Im running 1.36 ratio drives and 30p props on a 30. Its a lil different set up but what Ive noticed is the 496's dont seem to have the power to spin the larger props unless you finesse them getting on plane.
THats the only way i can get it up. I give it 3/4 throttle to gain momentum and then about 1/2 once it hits 3000 rpm. Any more than that and it will blow. With the 30s and tunnel tab it will blow a bit at 1/2 throttle but it keeps the bow down enough where the boat rolls on a plane.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by shueman
That's what I suggest...call (951) 681-1222 and ask for John Lovell...he'll set ya straight...
I have been speaking with John on and off about it. He originally suggested the tab, which was good advise. He told me that I needed the stock 32s to get into the high 90s. Most recently he suggested that I put a 1" spacer in and try that.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Try a set of 5 Blades. P5X's in the 28-30 pitch range.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

A trick we used on one of the Cigarette F2 race boats:

Get it pushing as much water as you can, and creating quite the wake of water behind you. When you just start to blow out, YANK the throttles back, and let the wall of water hit the transom. Once this heavy and big wall of water hits the back of the boat, aggressively get into the sticks before the wall of water starts to lift the transom. This should put the props into a lot of water. Timing is everything with this method though. Too late getting into the sticks and the props biting into the wall of water will lift the transom and you are in worse shape than you started. It does work though.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by QWKRN U
Try a set of 5 Blades. P5X's in the 28-30 pitch range.
I tried a set of P5X 30s and it helped a bit for planing, but they weren't a whole lot better than the 30 bravos.......Now with the tunnel tab I can get the boat on a plane easier than with the 30 p5xs without it. On my boat the 28s would be too small. I was close enough to the rev limiter with the p5x 30s that i am sure i would be on the limiter with the 28s.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
A trick we used on one of the Cigarette F2 race boats:

Get it pushing as much water as you can, and creating quite the wake of water behind you. When you just start to blow out, YANK the throttles back, and let the wall of water hit the transom. Once this heavy and big wall of water hits the back of the boat, aggressively get into the sticks before the wall of water starts to lift the transom. This should put the props into a lot of water. Timing is everything with this method though. Too late getting into the sticks and the props biting into the wall of water will lift the transom and you are in worse shape than you started. It does work though.
LOL. Ride the wave. That is a good idea, I will give it a shot!

Quick Reply: 28 Daytona - Hard to get on a plane, lots of blowout..What next?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.