Four or Five Blade

Notices

Four or Five Blade

Old 04-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikaylaHunterCig
Try Hering - it's worth the investment.

4 blade if your drives are standard bravo, XR could handle 5 blade if your HP is 500 ish.
my .02

Dave you say Herings, but aren't you running Bravos and getting your best speed from them?
Old 04-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CheckedOut
On my boat, I prefer bravos over the 5 blades. I tried a stock 30 P5X and it was decent, but my old set of mangled 30 bravos are a few mph faster and I like the way they handle better.

I just had my old 30s worked on (added a bit on length etc). I know a few folks with daytonas that have had good luck having the bravos worked over so I am going to be trying that for better results. Check out the attached pics.

I have heard that there are some slightly cut down merc maximus props that will work well. IIRC, Preston Wooley of Horizon motorsports recommended them. I would be curious to see how the Hering 5 blades work as well. I have heard that they are great props. Not sure how they would work for our application though.

BTW, I am running 496HOs with 1.35 XRs.
It's amazing what a difference prop work can make. I tested these props and picked up 5 mph (around 96.5) and was still off the rev limiter. Scott Baker knows his props. I can't wait to see how the worked 32s run....
Old 04-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Registered

I do like the way the boat handles and gets on plane with the Bravo's. It seems to get on plane to easy to me. Most articles I read discuss the balancing act of best prop for speed versus everyday cruising. Right now I can get the boat on plane fairly easy with one motor only. So I would expect to get more speed with prop change. Also was told when boat was originally tested with labbed bravo's it threw blades twice, so they got away from labbed prop's. Anyone have similar experienece?
Old 04-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by stormbauer
I do like the way the boat handles and gets on plane with the Bravo's. It seems to get on plane to easy to me. Most articles I read discuss the balancing act of best prop for speed versus everyday cruising. Right now I can get the boat on plane fairly easy with one motor only. So I would expect to get more speed with prop change. Also was told when boat was originally tested with labbed bravo's it threw blades twice, so they got away from labbed prop's. Anyone have similar experienece?
Yes...I had my best mid range and top end with labbed 5 blades on both my 28 and my 36. However, my 36 threw 2 blades in a 30 day period...so I decided to back off labbed props...I lost about 8mph on my 36 going to stock 4 blades, but at least I'm not throwing blades....and my 4 blades are much more forgiving on my drives.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 28' and I run 5 blade maximus'. They are 32's cut down to a 15'' diameter with the diffuser ring cut down also. I have no problems getting on plane with any size load unlike the problems I had with 4 blades. The boat is faster in the top end with 4 blades but I would rather scrub a couple m.p.h. off the top end and have better mid range and planing abilities.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Registered

I have found that slip runs about ~15% with labbed Bravo's and ~8% with stock P5X...
Old 04-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=MikaylaHunterCig;2832658]Try Hering - it's worth the investment.

What he said
Old 04-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jdnca1
I have found that slip runs about ~15% with labbed Bravo's and ~8% with stock P5X...
My labbed 30s are setup as follows:

29.5 actualy pitch as measured
5150 RPM
1.35 Gear Ratio
94MPH Speed Over Ground (may be slightly off from actual speed over water)
I am seeing a theoretical 12% and that is the worst case scenario for my setup currently number wise.

http://www.mercuryracing.com/propell...calculator.php

I think a lot of it depends on the lab job.

Last edited by CheckedOut; 04-10-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Registered

Default Hope it's not to late to get in on this thread

I had a 500EFI last summer in a 25 Daytona.
It's on the floor now, still for sale...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o26451-en.html

I just had a N.A. 572 installed..XR drive., 2" shorty.
It looks like a lot of people are going with the 5 blade. Should I stick with the four blade, maybe a 30?? Or the 5 blade??
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited by jason6116; 04-11-2009 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jason6116
I had a 500EFI last summer in a 25 Daytona.
It's on the floor now, still for sale...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o26451-en.html

I just had a N.A. 572 installed..XR drive., 2" shorty.
It looks like a lot of people are going with the 5 blade. Should I stick with the four blade, maybe a 30?? Or the 5 blade??
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Copy & Paste this link
C:\Documents and Settings\jason.dickinson\Desktop\MOTOR\DSCN0102[1].JPG

Thanks,
I am guessing that you have no problems getting on a plane since you have a single? That seems to be a big reason why a lot of folks on twin cats to goto five blades. Were you running a 28 with the old 500?

The benefits that I see for 4 blades in general are as follows:

Less Drive wear
Better top end speed
Cheaper/Easy to find - If you run in places where there is a lot of drift this can be a big deal
Pretty much everyone I know up here in the NW run 4 blades on their bravo'd single cats. But in all honesty I am not a prop expert so Im sure there are some folks who have some bigger cube singles that may be able to weigh in.

BTW, The link you posted points to your local computer and doesn't work.

Last edited by CheckedOut; 04-10-2009 at 11:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Four or Five Blade

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.