how much to insure 28 daytona

Notices

how much to insure 28 daytona

Old 05-15-2009, 10:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grads2112
I'm not doubting you but something doesn't sound right about that. Markel probably insures over 50% of the cats out there. Why would they be so much more expensive?

Depends on where you boat and live - I had Markel insure my 30 Motion @ $5,500 per year - the problem is, I live in Florida and Markel was the only insurer (at that time) that wrote insurance for cats in Florida. With no competition, they pretty much wrote the rules...
Old 05-15-2009, 11:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grads2112
I'm not doubting you but something doesn't sound right about that. Markel probably insures over 50% of the cats out there. Why would they be so much more expensive?
Monopely on a righ risk market, I think your percentage is off on cats over 30, I think it is more like 80% or 90%, but on smaller then 30 there is alot more competition and boats witch drives down the price.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by turbo94gto
Monopely on a righ risk market, I think your percentage is off on cats over 30, I think it is more like 80% or 90%, but on smaller then 30 there is alot more competition and boats witch drives down the price.
This wasnt the case in my experience. There are very few companies that will insure smaller cats. I shopped for a month and ended up going with markel through Elton Porter ins. agengy. I would recommend them to anyone.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Registered

The two big companies already mentioned several times will quote somewhere between $4000-5,000 per year and probably mandate Tres Martain School unless you have 4-5 years cat experience. If you do not have cat experience they may not even write your policy. Seemed starnge to me because how can you ever get experience if you cannot get insurance? I have major problems getting my boat insured since it was my first cat even though I have over 25 years boating both large crusiers and performance boats. Have to get written letters from a couple of my friends who I had driven there cats just to get quotes.

Long story short is by doing lots and lots of research and asking around hooked up with another company for less than half there quote.

So my suggestion is to shop, shop, shop and research, research, research..........
Old 05-18-2009, 12:02 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stormbauer
The two big companies already mentioned several times will quote somewhere between $4000-5,000 per year and probably mandate Tres Martain School unless you have 4-5 years cat experience. If you do not have cat experience they may not even write your policy. Seemed starnge to me because how can you ever get experience if you cannot get insurance? I have major problems getting my boat insured since it was my first cat even though I have over 25 years boating both large crusiers and performance boats. Have to get written letters from a couple of my friends who I had driven there cats just to get quotes.

Long story short is by doing lots and lots of research and asking around hooked up with another company for less than half there quote.

So my suggestion is to shop, shop, shop and research, research, research
This is the best advise out there. You have to research and dont take the first quote. One other note of caution is to make sure the company knows what they are insuring. If you have an issue down the road, you do not want them going ohh... we didnt know it was a cat, sorry your SOL.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:54 AM
Registered

I called around for 2 weeks when I bought my 28ft daytona and nobody would insure me because I am 27 and never owned a cat before. I emailed this guy out in California I [email protected] it took him a while because nobody in the U.S. would insure a first time cat owner under 35, but he found me a company which I forgot the name of in canada which has 60,000 clients in the U.S. He got me insured for 1600 a year.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chipwithdip
I called around for 2 weeks when I bought my 28ft daytona and nobody would insure me because I am 27 and never owned a cat before. I emailed this guy out in California I [email protected] it took him a while because nobody in the U.S. would insure a first time cat owner under 35, but he found me a company which I forgot the name of in canada which has 60,000 clients in the U.S. He got me insured for 1600 a year.
There have been some talk about an insurance company from Canada that may be able to insure in the US. Not sure if it's the same one but it's been bantered back and forth a few times.