Rough water handling? >

Rough water handling?

Notices

Rough water handling?

Old 10-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough water handling?

Could someone please tell me how the 26-27 Daytona's handle in the rough stuff? We will be doing a combination of smaller lakes as well but we do like to get out on bigger bays too- any experience would be helpful

Thanks
KK
Old 10-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I got ride time in the eliminator Daytona cat if that's what your curious of
Old 10-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Registered

Yes please-any rough water encounters? How did it handle at speed?
Old 10-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I rode on a buddies at the ozarks shoot out this year...prolly
minimum 4 foot chop leaving the races and it was seeing some major air. His is a 26 foot... It's not a terribly rough ride but definitely couldn't have an open beer... We prolly ran 70 most the time.. Boat just lacks a few feet to stretch waves right...but it still feels nice when he hits 112 I would always prefer a 30ft+ in swells but that's just my personal preference...hope u all enjoy ur cruise!
Old 10-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 28 daytona with twin 496's not good in the rough water, its fine in 2-3 ft but above that you spend half the time in the air. A cat with a real tunnel will handle the rougher water better.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kyboy1020
I rode on a buddies at the ozarks shoot out this year...prolly
minimum 4 foot chop leaving the races and it was seeing some major air. His is a 26 foot... It's not a terribly rough ride but definitely couldn't have an open beer... We prolly ran 70 most the time.. Boat just lacks a few feet to stretch waves right...but it still feels nice when he hits 112 I would always prefer a 30ft+ in swells but that's just my personal preference...hope u all enjoy ur cruise!
Im at LOTO just about every weekend and the difference between a 26 and 30 is night and day. I usually run 70-80mph thru the rough stuff and its never totally out of the water. the 26's and 27's are nice boats but when we do a poker runs or are just out running around I leave em behind just cruising. that 3 foot makes a huge difference.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Registered

I would not recommend a 27 Daytona if you plan on running in rough water, I bought mine new in April of 2008 and ran it in Puget Sound, Lakes, and Rivers all over the NW and in some good size water but by July of 2008 the boat had gel coat cracks in the Dash, Floor, bulkhead In front of the engine, and then when the boat is bouncing around the engine hatch hits both side of the boat where it sits in. I towed the boat down to Eliminator from Seattle and left it down there for a month and a half. They covered it under warranty and did not fuss. It was very impressive the way they stand behind their product. I picked the boat up in April of 2009 by June of 2009 we had new cracks in all the same places. I called Eliminator and again they said bring it down and we will fix it. Eliminator stands by their product and makes a Awesome boat. I would just not recommend a 27 Daytona for rough water. I would recommend an Eliminator just maybe a few sizes up.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by QWKRN U
Im at LOTO just about every weekend and the difference between a 26 and 30 is night and day. I usually run 70-80mph thru the rough stuff and its never totally out of the water. the 26's and 27's are nice boats but when we do a poker runs or are just out running around I leave em behind just cruising. that 3 foot makes a huge difference.
Agreed
a 26-27 lacks the free board the 28+ Daytonas have.
I have spent a lot of time in a 27ICC and it will not handle near has much rough water as my 28, and thats only a 1'(+/-) advantage in length.
With this said on a typical small lake/smooth water the 26 or 27 is a hands down awesome boat , keyword smooth water.
just my .02

Dave
Old 10-06-2009, 07:58 AM
Registered

Agreed, In the lakes/ bays you will be fine. My 27 handles any Holiday traffic rollers/slop with ease but I wouldn't want to take it out in "legit" 3+ footers in open water. I wouldn't confuse it or anything under 32' IMO for a good rough water ride. I haven't seen any problems with cracking "yet".
Old 10-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Registered

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Makes the purchase decision easier

KK