Can the 22-25' Eliminator Daytonas Handle the Ocean >

Can the 22-25' Eliminator Daytonas Handle the Ocean

Notices

Can the 22-25' Eliminator Daytonas Handle the Ocean

Old 03-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Simple...Im guessing its a sit down boat.
You drill a hole in the middle of the seat, then use that hole to mount a 2" hitch ball. Now when you hit that 5' wave, shear pucker power will keep you firmly attached to the restraint system and in the boat. you may get a little wet, you may walk like Jessica Simpson after taking the entire dallas offensive line at once, but you should stay in the boat and survive.
What you have going on in your boat is your business, but I think I'll just take my chances, and stick to a plain seat.

Michael
Old 03-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not that there that far apart on erie...they are actually pretty close. Its the fact that on anygiven day your hitting two 3' waves followed by one 5' wave followed by a 1 foot wave followed by two 3' waves and repeat..but they are all close and steep.
You are right about the different size waves. But compared to most inland lakes, Erie's waves are a lot further apart. A cat hull is designed to pack air and ride on top. A 22' to 25' Daytona is not long enough to stay on top. And we all know what happens when you drop off that 5 footer.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Registered

Simple...Im guessing its a sit down boat.
You drill a hole in the middle of the seat, then use that hole to mount a 2" hitch ball. Now when you hit that 5' wave, shear pucker power will keep you firmly attached to the restraint system and in the boat. you may get a little wet, you may walk like Jessica Simpson after taking the entire dallas offensive line at once, but you should stay in the boat and survive.
Lol
Old 03-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Default Smaller Cats in the chop

I run on Lake Ontario. Prior to having my 36 I had a 28. The previous post about the great lakes being a washing machine is right on. There is no predictability to our snot here. You have to be very aware, and constantly on and off the throttles (if you want to save drives) in anything 3's or bigger.

I can tell you my 28 loved the lake snot as long as it was 2' or less....3's or bigger and it got a little hairy. One of my most uncomfortable situations in my boating career was running my 28 and hitting a set of rogue 4's at about 60mph. We launched and I remember looking straight at my bow (felt like it was almost vertical). Fortunately I came off the throttles quick enough that we didn't launch far enough to trip over the following 4 and stuff the nose. I learned my lesson.

Now with my 36 - no issues. Perfect length for the great lakes...haven't had even one uncomfortable incident in the 4 seasons I've run it in the snot.

Obviously, I would imagine the 25 would be even a bit more squirrelly than my 28 was. However, on those days that are 2' or less, you'll have a ball, whether it be on the great lakes, any other lake or the Ocean. Unfortunately, I've never run in the pacific ocean, so I have no idea how many of your days are 2' or less.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Registered

I was out in the Pacific near Channel Islands Harbor Saturday on a sailboat doing some whale watching (I like all types of boating). It was a bit chilly, but the swells were maybe a foot, and the chop a foot or less. Winds were about 10 knots. I was thinking this would probably be a good day for an Eliminator, as long as it could handle a lot of wind chop that wasn't too high.

By the way, I didn't see any, but a few other boats reported seeing whales.

Michael
Old 03-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Registered

Bad news. I just checked on the insurance, and it's a no-go ("next to impossible"), based on prior or lack of prior ownership.

Hopefully, a Daytona may be in my future at a later date.

Michael