Cracked stringers >

Cracked stringers

Notices

Cracked stringers

Old 03-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Cracked stringers

Help!! I just picked up 1981 27' excalibur! I have several issues that i need to address right away. Number one concern is that the engine mounting plates that sandwich the stringers look to be aluminum and have corroded to the point that the expansion of the plates have begun to crunch the stringers on both sides and resulted in bulging upward and cracks in both stringers. What material are the plates, what would corrode, and what is a good fix? thanks so much, Mike
Old 03-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Registered

Thanks DareDevil, I appreciate your time. I am not sure what the construction of the stringers are. I assumed sometype of 2X wood. I was planning on just unbolting engine mount plates one side at a time and glassing over stringer, gelcoat and replace with like stainless steel plates..? Sufficient? or much more involved? any input appreciated...MIke
Old 03-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by manaze
Thanks DareDevil, I appreciate your time. I am not sure what the construction of the stringers are. I assumed sometype of 2X wood. I was planning on just unbolting engine mount plates one side at a time and glassing over stringer, gelcoat and replace with like stainless steel plates..? Sufficient? or much more involved? any input appreciated...MIke
That is just a band-aid. Stringers are wood and if they are wet they are most likely rotten.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with these guys, the only right way to fix this is to just get it out of there and replace it. And be prepared for the worst, many times things will be worse than it looks from the surface in these matters.
Good Luck, Nick.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Registered

Default Next Step

thanks all for your input. I will wait for the snow to let up here in SLC Utah and then take a few shots in the sunlight and repost to this forum for further consideration. thanks again...my first post...

ps..what a stunning boat...i am taking the plunge....Mike
Old 03-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Registered

Any pics of the boat ?
Old 03-31-2009, 11:02 PM
Registered

Default pics

folks, is there an easy way to post pics of boat/stringers

thanks, Mike
Old 04-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=manaze;2833637]folks, is there an easy way to post pics of boat/stringers

thanks, Mike[/QUO

You have to be a payed member
Old 04-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by manaze
ps..what a stunning boat...i am taking the plunge....Mike
There's an old 27' Excalibur sitting and rotting in the yard at the shop where my boat is. I can't get over they way I love the shape of it and the 31'. To my eyes, they are just right.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jammin'
There's an old 27' Excalibur sitting and rotting in the yard at the shop where my boat is. I can't get over they way I love the shape of it and the 31'. To my eyes, they are just right.
Get some pics

Quick Reply: Cracked stringers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.