Notices

Bildge paint

Old 05-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bildge paint

Whats the best type of paint to use in the bildge? I have always used Interlux brightsde polyurethane thats brushable. Looking to see what Brand and type of paints that others have used.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:54 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Bildge paint

I had Pettit Easypoxy Polyurethane Enamel applied to my engine compartment.
In the past, I have used gelcoat that was brushed on.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:27 AM
jamess4

As a rule of thumb you will want to use epoxy in areas that will be continoulsy wet. Generally this will be 72 hrs @ 77 degree's. Polyurethanes both aeromatic and aliphatic will absorb moisture and often form bubbles. Epoxies perform much better in wet areas. Epoxies are limited however and should never be used in continous direct sunlight, they will chaulk and discolor quickly. If you drain you bildge or have a dry bildge anything will work - Brand of paint is not important - read the instructions - fumes can be pretty intense in the bildge - take this seriously- the strong solvents displace oxygen and if the smell does not kill you the lack of air will get that one brain cell beer has not - use a little ventalation - *** Surface preperation is the key - sand all surfaces agressively first - If you do not know what type of paint is on the bildge now - soak a small rag in MEK ( Methyl Ethyl Ketone) place the rag on the painted surfaces for 5 minutes - If the paint has soften or has begun to lift, it must all be removed before coating with epoxy.

Old 05-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Registered

Used Interlux Bilgekote and it has held up fantastic....Tough as nails
Old 05-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BAD-HABIT
Used Interlux Bilgekote and it has held up fantastic....Tough as nails
Is this the stuff? Did you use it right out of the can? or does it mix with a hardner?
Attached Images  
Old 05-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

right out of the can, i used it on 2 boats good stuff. Tom
Old 05-06-2005, 09:20 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info
Old 05-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 579 Likes on 239 Posts

I like a two part epoxy made by sherwin williams called macropoxy .Its tough and shines forever and bonds like nothing else without a primer.It's cheap too, $74.00 for two gallons which is the minimum they sell it in( one part color ,one part hardener).Works great for painting metal parts too without needing to put down a primer first ,held up better in my saltwater bilge than the powdercoated parts.Only a few sherwin williams stores handle it and some will look at you like you don't know what your talking about but tell them to call another store and they can send it over most of the time
Old 05-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Is this a paint you would use to paint a trailer also?
Old 05-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 579 Likes on 239 Posts

Would work great on a trailer, needs no primer and evens goes well over half rusty metal if cleaned up. A buddy of mine that owns a sheet metal fab and welding shop turned me on to it ,he loves it and he is a picky s.o.b..He owned a large body shop for 20 years in this area and only did upscale jobs so in his book quality is #1 so i trusted him on it ,and the paint has been great for the 5 years that i have been using it.It is by no means a finish paint but it is the best for industrial projects like a trailer.It is so cheap i would put two coats downs just to insure full coverage and a full seal. GOOD LUCK!

Quick Reply: Bildge paint

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.