Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fiberglass and Paint (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint-167/)
-   -   Transom and Stringers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint/106032-transom-stringers.html)

MitchStellin 06-25-2005 07:05 AM

Re: Transom and Stringers

Listen to these words Grasshopper, you will thank us forever and have a boat, an ass and some cash left.

FOUNTAINATLAST 06-25-2005 09:20 AM

There is so much work that would be involved over time your just going to get fed-up with it!!! Your most likly going to lose interest and wish you had never got involved & now you have all this money invested in a unfinished boat thats not worth anything... I had an older boat that needed attention every week (nothing as bad as yours) but it got to the point were that boating was no longer fun it became work!!! If a project is what your looking for atleast find one with a good hull. Then you can do the motors, gauges & nice interior . Just my 02.

BGIII 06-25-2005 10:02 AM

A pig in a new dress is still a pig.

woogie 06-25-2005 10:29 AM

Boomer - definitely all great advise. Only situation that it makes any sense to climb the mountain is if a boat had some historical significance or strong sentimental value to keep you pumped, otherwise just a another pile of resin in the shape of a boat . Lot of guys have been there - tak'in in those stray dogs - years go by and you get tired of re-ordering checks.
Car collector I know - never buy a car thats $25k then drop $35k to make it a $60k car - buy one for 45k and invest 5k.

Boomer35 06-25-2005 03:59 PM

Is there a certain moisture content that the gauge will read that will predict whether or not you need to replace the transom or stringers, or is there just no way to tell until you cut her open

cig1988 06-26-2005 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by woogie
Boomer - definitely all great advise. Only situation that it makes any sense to climb the mountain is if a boat had some historical significance or strong sentimental value to keep you pumped, otherwise just a another pile of resin in the shape of a boat . Lot of guys have been there - tak'in in those stray dogs - years go by and you get tired of re-ordering checks.
Car collector I know - never buy a car thats $25k then drop $35k to make it a $60k car - buy one for 45k and invest 5k.

Well said, for what Boomer can buy my Bullet he would be way far ahead of the game.

MitchStellin 06-26-2005 07:49 AM

There you go B, step up to that bullet, it is a way better deal.

Audiofn 06-26-2005 10:18 AM

Boomer: I can tell you that the trip you are talking about taking is a rough one. I am doing it myself (go look at my Stringer replacement thread on my Formula 302. I have not had this boat in the water now for two years. In fact I purchased another boat to have to use while that one is being done. If you REALLY want to do this then you NEED to find out EXACTLY what the extent of the damage is. If it is just a stringer that is bad, or a transom that is not such a bad thing to have done. If you are going into this with your eyes closed and have no idea what the damage is...... well take a look at my stringer replacement thread and you will see what you could be doing.... I have been doing all the work myself and since my business took off and I am building a vacation home in Maine my boat is on the back burner. Now I am paying money to store aboat that I do not even use.... You said that you have a guy in VT that you got the quote from. If Gloucester, MA is not to far away for you to tow the boat you can get a great TRUETHFULL estimate from Joe Berkman at Gloucester Boat Work. He was arguably the best America's cup foil builder in the world up to the point that they started to make them with CNC machines.... Some of these projects are doable, but from what I am seeing I would be very concerned to see you get involved. DO YOUR RESEARCH and be REALISTIC ABOUT EVERYTHING. GlassDave is WRONG (sorry Dave) it is not twice what you think it is more like THREE TO FOUR TIMES!!! :drink: :drink: And Yes baby powder is your first like of defence :D:D

Jon

gasguzzler1 03-01-2015 06:54 PM

Mitch, or anybody, how were these transoms constructed? A few layers of ply covered in fiberglass, or was the wood thicker in some areas than others? how was it attached to the stringers, glass only, or other hardware under the glass? Also, were the main stringers directly under the engines also wood, or were they wood only forward of the front of the engines? thanks

glassdave 03-01-2015 08:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
transom and stringers in general are laminated marine ply or a composite high denisity foam core like Coosa. somewhere I have a stringer illustration I did as well. I will find it and post it to help explain how they are assembled.