Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fiberglass and Paint (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint-167/)
-   -   Transom and Stringers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint/106032-transom-stringers.html)

Boomer35 06-21-2005 03:53 PM

Transom and Stringers

Looking at a boat that may need a new transom, What am i looking at for cost? 31 foot boat with twins. Can stringers be partially replaced. As in if they are good up front, but moist in the eng compartment, is this a job that can be done without tearing the whole boat apart, and what type of $$ am i looking at?

Thanks Steve Jr

fund razor 06-21-2005 04:56 PM

Re: Transom and Stringers

So... is it a Chris Craft or a Formula? :D

(A scarab would have been 30' you said 31)

Off the top of my head I would say that you are looking at 7 or 8 thousand if you have them do the whole job. 3 or 4 thousand if they only do the glass work.

Unfortunately... the boat needs to be un-rigged and re-rigged.

Add a couple thousand if your stringers are really bad.

There are a couple great threads on the subject. Big job.

Boomer35 06-21-2005 06:16 PM

Thanks-

When you say whole job, is it possible to replace the stringers from the transom up towards the bow to the end of the eng compartment, as long as the existing stringer past the eng compartment arent in terrible shape, and what about the hull of the boat, can you replace past the engine compartment both the hull and the stringers without taking apart the deck and the rest of the boat, any ideas of $$$$ to replace the stringers and hull only in the eng compartment

mpally 06-21-2005 07:10 PM

We paid $3,000 for just a transom rebuild on a single 25 Checkmate.

Sean H 06-21-2005 07:18 PM

i wouldn't buy a boat knowing it needed this much work unless this is the kind of work you can do yourself.... just my .02

MitchStellin 06-21-2005 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would pass on this boat, you will never have closure, it will never be the same and if you want to do it right you need to split the deck and replace all the bulkheads, stringers and transom. The hull is out of the question, you could never make the boat structurally sound if you tried to piece the hull together. If you could do this yourself it would be thousands, have someone do it and it is 10s of thousands, like I said, you will never have closure, there will always be issues. i tried this on a 33 Donzi and learned my lesson. I was forced to do this due to being screwed by a dealer. It was a nightmare and all I did was do a ton of work just to sell it and get it away from me. I had nightmares over it while repairing it. I say run away, spend the same amount on a dated or sound project boat, there are millions of them out there.

TomFTM 06-22-2005 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sean H
i wouldn't buy a boat knowing it needed this much work unless this is the kind of work you can do yourself.... just my .02

Ditto. A project boat is not a good deal unless your capible of doing it yourself.

ofshore 06-24-2005 09:21 AM

boomer35, there are so many good deals on boats right now I wouldn't even consider something that needed that kind of work. Right now it may look like just the transom and the ends of the stringers are soft but once you start tearing it apart their could be a lot more :eek:

glassdave 06-24-2005 09:33 AM

Art is right on the money. . . you will never have closure if the boat is very bad. a rule of thumb i use is you only see about half the actual damage the rest will surface as you get into it. what kind of boat is it?

NJgr8ful 06-24-2005 09:37 AM

run Forrest ..... RUN