Notices

blue printing

Old 08-12-2005, 12:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blue printing

What kind of performance gains can can be expected from blue printing the hull of my boat?

Also how much money?

The boat is 28' twin outboard cat.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails blue printing-boat-work-024-small-.jpg  
Old 08-15-2005, 02:15 PM
Registered

Default Re: blue printing

depends on how straight the hull is now
Old 08-24-2005, 09:39 PM
Registered

If you don't have a pronounced hook on the running surface on on the lifting straits, not much speed for the $. Have the bottom accessible enough to put at least a yardstick on it's edge touching the end with the very end of the bottom and see if there is more than 1/4" gap between the straight edge and the running surface. Prop size and pitch would be were I would try to improve along with drive height and gear ratio.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

also blue printing isnt as effective on a cat as it is on a V. like G said. . . props and drive are your best be for gains

by the way G . . welcome to the board. sounds like you have spent some time in the biz
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 08-25-2005, 01:27 AM
Registered

Thanks Glassdave. I was Paint/Graphics Supervisor at Fountain Powerboats for 18 years. Keep your eyes and ears open and you can learn a little something. Glad to have found this forum and glad to be here. G$
Old 08-25-2005, 09:56 AM
Registered

Gmoney,
I have a 1986 Fountain 10 Meter that needs some touch up on the stripes (Maybe you painted it back then?). Is there any way to find out what color paint Fountain used on my boat. I have been told that it was Imron and I should be able to get an exact match if I can get the color code. The gel coat color is also a little unusual. It is a light blue (very light), and I have a very hard time finding anyone who can color match when fixing small dings. Does Fountain keep track of the gel colors used on old boats? No one has succeeded yet at matching the color exactly.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 08-25-2005, 06:28 PM
Registered

Hi Doug! If my rememory is correct, we painted a Carolina Blue (Go Tarheels!) over a light blue gel because the gel gun and lines weren't properly cleaned and purged B4 the trigger was pulled in the mold! LOL! The Imron was Bay Blue and formulated for us by Paul Auto Supply in Washington, NC. 252-946-3171 . I believe the number was G9371U. Might get a small amount mixed to see if that's the one. We did use all Imron back then and if you could tell me the colors, or send me a pic thru e-mail, I will do my best. You can call the factory and ask for Service ( Gail Lane) she started filing paint codes for each boat after begging for help for a year and the filing cabinet couldn't close! Or call my friend Richie Wilkins (ext#6245) who took my place. 252-975-2000. Tell him G sent ya! I know one of your colors is red and it is 3422U. Let me know how it goes. G$
Old 08-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by art kern
welcome guy . i have to tell you that . i do not think dave has to keep is eyes & ears open to learn something , from you . he is just doing fine for a painter / glassman /or glassman / painter / . i have to tell you after working at skater for over 12 years , and working on boats for fountian , at skater ,the best looking boats that came out of fountian , or skater , with the best paint jobs were done out of house . i can also tell you that anybody on this thread , that gives advice , are seasoned glass & paint guys , if that is what thay do !!!!!!! so come blow your horn/ maybe you will learn something /A . K . A . /
AKA, that sounds a little harsh. I don't think gmoney52 may know glassdave and probably did not mean to insinuate that dave needed to go "back to school". I stick my head in here to get pointers from everybody and even though I have been painting cars since I was in high school, I have plenty to learn because I do not paint daily or "professionally". Most of the painting that I have done is at my cousin's car lot when we bought the weekly "project" car or needed to do a panel match on minor damage. Now I am busy with my own business and don't do much painting and have no fiberglass experience. So everybody keep it coming so I can continue to learn.

Thanks,

Todd Howerton
Outlaw Disc Brakes
Old 08-25-2005, 06:58 PM
Registered

Location: Brussels, Ont. CAN. Landlocked between Lake Huron, Ontario and Erie

Sounds like a little misunderstanding and that unfortunately happens all too often on public forums. It's all good, back to the topic...

I can say from my own experience that my 78' 25' Martini came from the factory with a hook approaching 3/4" measured over a 4' span from the transom. (verified by the builder, no trailer queen damage ) Needless to say, the ride was very 'wet' and I could never get it to 'loosen up'.

After filling the hook it was nothing but speed
Old 08-25-2005, 07:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by martiniboat
Sounds like a little misunderstanding and that unfortunately happens all too often on public forums. It's all good, back to the topic...

I can say from my own experience that my 78' 25' Martini came from the factory with a hook approaching 3/4" measured over a 4' span from the transom. (verified by the builder, no trailer queen damage ) Needless to say, the ride was very 'wet' and I could never get it to 'loosen up'.

After filling the hook it was nothing but speed
What did you fill it with? Did you have to flip the boat?

Quick Reply: blue printing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.