Gelcoat vs Regular Paint? >

Gelcoat vs Regular Paint?

Notices

Gelcoat vs Regular Paint?

Old 10-10-2005, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gelcoat vs Regular Paint?

Rebuilding the cockpit and part of the deck. I would like to paint this subassembly and install and wire gauges prior to installing it in the boat. I dont know if I should just use conventional paint with clearcoat and attempt to flash it in with the existing deck or go the gelcoat route. Can you apply gelcoat with a spraygun to a vertical surface? Does gelcoat require a clear coat after? I've painted a boat with imron + clear and it came out nice but have never worked with gelcoat. Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated....Thanks! TJ
Old 10-11-2005, 06:16 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Gelcoat vs Regular Paint?

You can not spay gel out of a regular paint gun. It is way to thick. If you want to get some good info and a great place to buy stuff check out www.minicraft.com They have a reducer that works very well with Gel. As to what way is best that is really up to you. Small parts are easy to do either way.

Jon
Old 10-11-2005, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Gelcoat can easily be sprayed with a conventional spray gun, if you mix it with Patch Aid from Cook Composits. For a large area use the slow reducer. It comes out quite nice with less orange peel.

Rick
Old 10-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Registered

As for the Minicraft reducer. Save your money. It costs $29.00 a qt. plus shipping !!! The Patch Aid from Cook Composits is the same thing. Thins the gel just fine for spraying.

Rick
Old 10-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Registered

I am not an expert on sraying gel, but I do know a thing or two about paint guns and you will want to get the largest needle and tip available to spray something as thick as gel. Preferably a 2.0 or larger, like what is used in a good primer gun. Smaller than that and it may become more difficult to spray! Just my .02

Last edited by customtouch; 10-13-2005 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:57 PM
Registered

exactly.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a lot of time.....before gelling you need to sand down to fiberglass, then spray, then sand again, then buff out
Old 10-19-2005, 09:53 PM
Registered

Well boys i will let you know how hard it is.I will be re gelcoating my 1979 challenger 21 after someone sanded it down and painted it with automotive paint i tried wet sanding it down to the original gel coat but they rubbed through in a few spots and red from what i hear is very hard to patch.So i will have the honor of re gelcoating the whole boat im gonna do white.I have sprayed all types of automotive finishes but i have never sprayed gelcoat. Anyone with Challenger 21s,Team Shadows,Super boats i would love to see pictures you can send them to [email protected]
talk to you guys later
Old 10-20-2005, 07:18 AM
Registered

My gel has yellowed and I'm considering either paint or new gel.
Can anyone tell me "rough" price to spray a 27' baja all white with new gel?
Does the gel get sprayed on the entire boat including bottom, or just above the water line like paint?
Old 10-20-2005, 08:53 PM
Registered

Take it from me. I'm in the business for over 30 years, I am also the builder of Superboats. I literally painted over a hundred boats, some with gelcoat. Stick with a good paint like Imron or Awlgrip. Imron also comes in Metalics. Tuff ass paint. I would never regel. It fades and Oxidizes. Imron will buff out like new after 10 years.

Rick

Quick Reply: Gelcoat vs Regular Paint?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.