Engine hatches, how to build

Notices

Engine hatches, how to build

Old 11-12-2005, 09:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Engine hatches, how to build

I'm looking for info on how to build an engine hatch. Materials, technices, etc. It does not have to be very elaborate. It must be strong enough to walk on though. Something like what is pictured.
Attached Thumbnails Engine hatches, how to build-5281_4.jpg  
Old 11-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Engine hatches, how to build

I'm building a set of race hatches for my Cig. A wooden box frame with 4 crossmembers all screwed together with galvinized screws. Then covered with 12 oz triaxial fiberglass with epoxy resin on the bottom and 10 oz on top. I'm not done yet but heres a few tips for you:
1. Every edge that you're putting fiberglass on has to have a radius or it will not stick right
2. You're first fiberglass job will most likely become you're first fiberglass repair job too.
Good Luck, Theres some people that a really talented with that stuff on this board, I'm hoping to pick up some tips too.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
I'm looking for info on how to build an engine hatch. Materials, technices, etc. It does not have to be very elaborate. It must be strong enough to walk on though. Something like what is pictured.
Dave
I just had one built out of Kevlar by Fiberglass Plus. I wanted to eliminate the sunpad and add scoops. If you decide to have it done by a professional, I can highly recommend this company.
Ed

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 08-29-2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for the info guys. I think over the winter I'm going to do some experimenting on a small scale and see how it comes out.

Dave, how do you get the topside to be smooth? Did you gelcoat it after the fiberglass? What kind of wood did you use?
Old 11-13-2005, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm not done yet but I plan to get it smooth using an epoxy "flood coat" and then lightly sanding and then painting with awlgrip. I have to paint it because the epoxy I use will yellow a little because of UV rays. For wood I used poplar for the frame and oak 1/4 inch plywood for the deck. Keep in mind I don't really walk on my hatch, I have stood on it and jumped up and down to test for strength but if you want to walk on it I'd use 1/2 inch plywood. Also, don't buy fiberglass or resin from West Marine or any other boating store, It's a rip off. Theres plenty of places you can find online that will ship it to you if you don't already have a local source. I'll post pictures of my project soon so hopefully you can learn from my mistakes.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hey Dave,

Did you glass one side wait for it to cure and then glass the other side? I'm trying to visualize how it would be done without a mold.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

yes, exactly. I did the bottom first so I could wrap the fiberglass around and the seam wouldnt be visible from the outside
Old 11-13-2005, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
Dave
I just had one built out of Kevlar by Fiberglass Plus. I wanted to eliminate the sunpad and add scoops. If you decide to have it done by a professional, I can highly recommend this company.
Ed
Do you have any of their contact information? What was the cost?
Old 11-14-2005, 06:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I was thinking I could make a mold to make the job much easier. I was thinking of using wood but the glass would probably want to bond to it. What can you make a mold out of or what can you put on it that would keep the glass from bonding to it?
Old 11-14-2005, 08:34 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
I was thinking I could make a mold to make the job much easier. I was thinking of using wood but the glass would probably want to bond to it. What can you make a mold out of or what can you put on it that would keep the glass from bonding to it?
MDF (Medium Density Fiber Board) works well for molds. Hard part is figureing out the reverse. The way that they ussually do it is make the part, then make the mold out of the part, then make your hatch in that. For a one off then your best bet is to just make the hatch and glass it IMO.

Jon

Quick Reply: Engine hatches, how to build

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.