Open bow conversion >

Open bow conversion

Notices

Open bow conversion

Old 02-26-2006, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Open bow conversion

Thanks for the replies, guys. I've looked at Sunsations and others, but I'm really attached to this boat. I've always wanted a Fountain, and even though it's not big or high dollar, it's mine and paid for. I have spoken to several shops, and the figure to do it professionally with matching upholstery is around 5K. I think it would cost more to trade, and I would loose my personal pride in owning a Fountain. I've also got a lot of money in the engine, and probably wouldn't get it back on trade. As far as resale, I think it could be very attractive to the right buyer, and it's not worth a fortune anyway. As far as weight concerns, it should be slightly lighter without the lid, and only slightly heavier with it, due to trim, reinforcement around the edges, and seals. If you all could give me some more input on structural integrity and other possible problems, it would be appreciated. Thanks again-- Toolz

Last edited by toolz; 02-26-2006 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:57 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Man if some one is willing to do all that work for 5 K I would say let them do it as long as yuo have seen their work and it is nice. I can not imagine getting the material for that kind of money. Even if you say they have the material laying around then they are going to finish that project in 2 weeks? Seems to good to be true to me.

Jon
Old 02-27-2006, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

awwww chit man ........just re read the thread and you said it wasnt a $100,000 boat......my bad

In that case go for it........I hear ya' on being bought and paid for and doing what you want with it.......Im in the same position (bought and paid for) with an older boat........I started a thread in the beek fourm about removing the useless and heavy dinette from the cabin of my 29 and just putting a practical (and lightwieght) facing lounge in instead......I was surprised at how many people said not to do it.......Im SO doing it anyway.......the boat will work much better for ME and make it easier for me to keep it.......my boat s not worth a million either.......knowing those 27s it will probably hop up on plane faster with a little wieght in the front.......doug
Old 02-27-2006, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

you may want to start a thread in the Sunsation fourm and ask the structural and set up differences (if any) between the 28 open and closed bow......theres some pretty savvy guys over there......doug
Old 02-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Registered

Thanks for the tips, Doug. Hope your project turns out the way you want it.

As far as cost, I really didn't expect much over 4-5K. There will be very few materials involved- the lid will be the deck cutout with reinforcement around the perimeter, and I don't plan on cutting a walkway down the middle. Most people sit forward-facing in the open bows anyway. Upholstery will be around the outside, and since my berth cushions are cloth, I will recover them in vinyl. Most of the cost will be labor, and I'm willing to pay enough to make it right. I want a factory-appearing job.

The shop that seemed most interested in doing this is 1200 miles away, so if anyone could recommend a shop in the midwest (I'm in Illinois) I would sure like to talk to them. Thanks again for your help. Toolz
Old 02-28-2006, 04:44 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

5K sounds like an unrealistic price. Just check out the guys work first.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by FX10
5K sounds like an unrealistic price. Just check out the guys work first.

I agree
Old 02-28-2006, 07:20 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Toolz put a post in the GD area abouut glass guys in or around LOTO.

Jon
Old 02-28-2006, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It breaks my heart and I almost cry when I see people go at their boats with a hacksaw.... once saw an antique 18' donzi turned into a 16' outboard boat... but I have to admit I have thought about what you are talking about just because they are getting so popular... I don't understand why the manufactures that are cutting the closed decks aren't keeping the peice cut out man making it be albe to attach and look like a closed bow again.... that would be pretty cool.

Ernie
Old 02-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TopSpin80
It breaks my heart and I almost cry when I see people go at their boats with a hacksaw.... once saw an antique 18' donzi turned into a 16' outboard boat... but I have to admit I have thought about what you are talking about just because they are getting so popular... I don't understand why the manufactures that are cutting the closed decks aren't keeping the peice cut out man making it be albe to attach and look like a closed bow again.... that would be pretty cool.

Ernie
I AGREE THAT WOULD BE NEAT LIKE A HARDTOP OR A BED COVER MAN THATS A GREAT IDEA.

Quick Reply: Open bow conversion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.