Open bow conversion >

Open bow conversion

Notices

Open bow conversion

Old 10-30-2010, 02:59 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine only has a sliding door from the cock pit side only.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by footchopper
Just curious, I had the same thought.
Yah, me too. toolz' last visit was 4 1/2 years ago. I agree with the comment that anyone under about 35' likely doesn't use their cuddy for much other than stowage. I had actually been wondering about a bowrider conversion real soon after getting my Panther 7 years ago. I had enjoyed 2 other bowriders in decades past, and considered such a modification would really free up some much needed moving around room. I was quite envious of a friend's new open-bow midcabin model. If done correctly I think someone would have no trouble finding many others who enjoy that conversion, including both passengers and potential buyers.

I'm going through some major repairs right now, but it's good to know b/r conversions are apparently done ocassionally and I won't be the first one. Something to keep considering.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Registered

I want to bring this thread back to the top. I really want a go fast boat, but we have 4 kids, and momma grew up on open bow boats, and has some motion issues when below deck on a friends Baja. I have put some serious thought into this option, as I don't have the budget to support buying a factory MCOB. Since this thread was started, has anyone pulled the trigger on doing this conversion, and if so, did you document the process with pics you could share?

I have seen pics of 3 boats that have been converted, that I can recall, the 27 Fountain in this thread, a 26 Scarab, and an early 90's Baja that was for sale down around Havasu. All of these boats look factory original, in my opinion.

New thoughts for 2011 on this subject?
Old 03-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Registered

I have a friend who had very recently asked me about doing the same thing to a boat that he wanted to buy.

After I thought about it for a bit, I realized that you could probably buy an old 17' to 21' tri-hull, or a deep V open bow, cut out the "open bow" part, then fabricate that cut-out piece into the boat that you want the open bow in.

To me, it seemed way easier than fabricating a complete open bow cockpit area.

Of course, there is lots of measuring, reinforcing, and glasswork that needs to be done in a project like that...

If you've never done any of that type of work I'd stay with Glassdave's suggestion for sure!

Just my $.02 worth...
Old 03-23-2011, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fountain4402
i dont like this idea. Have you looked at these boats that do this it really makes no sense man. You really dont get anything out of it. I think formula has a boat with open bow Sunsation. Formula also has a boat with what they called an extended cockpit, has a bench seat and you can fit like 8 people back there
What part makes no sense? I have a 28 Donzi ZXO which is a 28 ZX with a mid cabin, open bow. It is a very good boat. Runs well, and is very usable. The bow area is fantastic and frees up a ton of space. The boat is still only 8'6" wide so no trailer problems either. (Versus, say, a Formula 280 or their new 290 that have 9 foot beams)

Sunsation is not made by Formula. they are their own brand. They also have a line of MCOB's and are also very good.

I have also never heard of any Formula with an 'extended cockpit' are you just making stuff up?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Registered

As I've stated before, I would love to have Glassdave cut a hole in my bow. I won't do it because I don't the balls, and I think the total cost would be between $10-12K, and I don't have it laying around.

I think if someone who has a top tier craftsman in glass and restoration like "Glassdave", I think they could really do a good business in this area. At least you know with him you are getting it done with anal retentive attention. I'm going to throw out my reasons, some of my reasoning is based on my assumptions from reading just OSO. So perhaps the niche is smaller or bigger outside this forum, based on assumptions it theory.

What is the average male age on this forum? I would say 35-45
How many are married with kids? 75%
How many on this site like the idea of speed? 90%
How many of the married men with kids spouses' like the idea of speed? 10% Now add with kids in the boat: .01% there is always one!

Excluding the owners of MCOBs, how many individuals can one fit in the boat's cockpit? To include, kids, friends of kids, spouse, friends of both boat owner and spouse and the next thing you know, you have way too many people on board. But that's what makes it fun, sharing the boating experience.

So the man without the MCOB is now begging to have one, but, he has a good quality boat from 1996 to 2003. It runs good speeds without the kids ect... But how often does he get it out by himself? The market for that particular boat is kinda soft, and you would bump up quite a bit in monthly payments to get a "good" MCOB. IMHO, Lavey Craft, Sunsation, and Advantage are the only ones to consider for decent water in an MCOB (there may be more, but I've ridden in about 6 other manufacturers and they don't compare. Those three manufacturers are not real easy to afford, especially MCOBs for the niche I'm referring to.

So you would have to sell your boat (hard to do right now), and find a good deal on one of the brands I just listed (harder). This could also be a long process of selling your boat, and then finding the right MCOB. (Consider your opportunity cost of not being on the water)

The alternative is $12k, lot less than say $30-50k you are going pay for one of the three brands.

In summary, if the high majority of your time is boating with family and friends and you're stuffed to the gill, but you either can't afford to upgrade to one of three brands, it makes sense to do it. Resale I think would best to target the exact same niche that you are in, you've already did the conversion, the boat came down in value because of depreciation and time. So the buyer can get into a quality MCOB other than the three listed for $30k less.

I've looked at Scarab 33 AVSs in the high $50 to low $60k, Powerquests Revenge, or 34, Active Thunders, Sonics, the list goes on with QUALITY boats I would love to do this to. The big problem is TRUST, who would you trust to do it? and do it right. With gas prices, shipping could add another $2k to get it a trusted source.

Just my take, so if Glassdave wants to donate for free project time for this theory, I'm all for it!!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a mid cabin you can do the open bow, but there are a fair amount of west coast boats that offer mid-cabin open bow set up. Hallett 255 comes to mind as a nice example.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GregGuimond
If you have a mid cabin you can do the open bow, but there are a fair amount of west coast boats that offer mid-cabin open bow set up. Hallett 255 comes to mind as a nice example.
Heard very good things about them, just never rode in one.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Registered

There are several West Coast/Havasu manufacturers that offer MCOB options: Laveycraft, Hallet, Kachina, Advantage, Nordic, Ultra, DCB, Eliminator, and Sunsation (I know they are not on the west coast) It is a very popular configuration in the southwest, along with performance deck boats and pontoons. If I were in the market, and had the budget for a "new" boat, I would be looking at all of these options.

Now, back to reality for me, I don't have the budget for a newer boat, so I would be buying a mid to late 80's or very early 90's boat, and if I wanted a performance boat, I would have to go the do-it-yourself route. I may pull this trigger sometime on the next 5 years. If I do, I guarantee I will be documenting the process, and sharing the results.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Registered

I always thougt i was nutz for wanting to cut the cabin top out of my boat and turn it into a pop-up camper likethe old VW bus. then I found this thread.

I idea whiole not enitrely the same as making an open bow would be to do like i said turn the cabin into a popup. cut the cabin top 6-8 inches or so all the way around and I would use some type of lift motor (3 of them, on 3 corners) to lift the cabin top 3 feet higher. attached between the cabin top and the inner cut edge of the boat would be marine canvas all the way around with a couple port windows. This would essentially give me a smallish cabin crusier when we are anchored in the lake, and I can still have my go-fast with the top down and latched in place for fast running. of course proper strengthening and latching point would have to be considered and it all becomes kind of a mute point if you add some much weight you were better off getting a small cabin cruiser and building the living shyte out the engine....thats something else i want BTW LOL! an old sea ray SRV or CC or similar with single 454 build to about 500-600hp. just for the sleeper effect.lol!

Quick Reply: Open bow conversion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.