oxidation removal & waxing >

oxidation removal & waxing

Notices

oxidation removal & waxing

Old 03-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oxidation removal & waxing

Any recommendations on removing light to medium oxidation (boat is 2000 model wh/ lived outside) and waxing?
Not familiar with gel coat work.
I do have random orbit buffer and good products wh/ work excellent on cars. Hear should not use on fiberglass and gel coat though.

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: oxidation removal & waxing

I had a jet boat which lived outside from 1998 through early 2004 and did not receive any of my attention other than a rinse after each use.

Used 3M Marine Fiberglass Restorer and Wax , it did a great job to remove oxidation and leave a shiny wax finish. One day latter I then applied Collinite’s No. 925 Fiberglass Boat Wax. Looked fantastic. Sold it on trade one week later.

Used 6 inch random orbit waxer/polisher for both.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Registered

Orb is great for waxing or light compound. Wheel is the ticket for heavy oxidation. I use a 3m foam pad w/ 3m compound , then 3m imperial hand glaze , then a good coat of wax , no solvents in the wax! Actually lasts all season with an awesome reflection! 10 year old 29 scarab.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just Did Mine Used 3m Cleaner Wax (marine) For Light Oxidation Came Out Pretty Good. Boat Us Has A Good Selection.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:34 AM
Registered

Frenzy! Shark Tower will give you a long lasting shine (and protection), while removing light to medium oxidation in one step. Easy to apply and remove by hand or with a high speed buffer. I've also used 3M Restorer with good results, but did not seem to last very long. I would usually follow that up with a cold water wash and a wax application.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Registered

I am in the business of upkeeping offshore boats. We use 3m white wool pads on makita variable speed buffers. The compound that you should use is 3m extra cut. this will remove all the oxidization. Then go over with a foam pad and glazing compound (3M). After that, apply at least 2 coats of high quality marine wax. This will make youyr boat look amaizing. Better than when it came out of the mould.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:19 AM
Registered

While I agree with buffing using a heavy compound (for heavy oxidation only), you should never have to apply 2 coats of a "high quality" marine wax. You don't want to layer products on your boat; this will mask the true color.

Keep in mind also, that you do not want to use any heavier a compound than is absolutely necessary to accomplish the task. Each time you put a buffer to your finish, you strip gel/paint.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Registered

Dont know if it is still on the market, but I lucked into a few bottles of a restorer wax called SEAPOWER,it was on the discount/discontinued isle at West Marine. The stuff was incredible it removed heavy oxidation in one coat, and then after the second application it started to look realy nice, I have one more bottle in the trunk of my car, I will get the info off of it, This stuff really worked great, had I not found it, I would have had to get a pro to do the job. Flitz it what I used on the metal, that stuff was fool proof as well.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:33 PM
Registered

I had a freind give me a bottle of ROLLITE!!! This **** works! No need to buff 2 and 3 times. 1 buff and wax'er up!!
Old 04-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Registered

Thanks guys. As soon as boat back from engine rebuild, will get into finish... Rebuild taking too long, but dyno scheduled for next week & just drop in - can't wait!

Quick Reply: oxidation removal & waxing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.