Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fiberglass and Paint (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint-167/)
-   -   Looking for Canary Yellow Gelcoat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint/125385-looking-canary-yellow-gelcoat.html)

Fast Shafts 03-20-2006 02:42 PM

Looking for Canary Yellow Gelcoat

Can anyone furnish me with a GOOD supplier for canary yellow gelcoat. I purchased some from "Mahoganey" out of Atlantic City and was disappointed. The color I got from them ended up being a mustard yellow. Thanks!

Catagory5 03-21-2006 07:07 AM

Re: Looking for Canary Yellow Gelcoat

Mahogany CO. will custom mix any color you want. Bring them a sample and check it befor you leave.

customryder 03-21-2006 08:58 AM

mini craft

JETBOAT BRIAN 03-21-2006 09:20 AM

www.Minicraft.com

can probably custom mix what you are looking for.....

#478 looks like a good starting point

Fast Shafts 03-21-2006 10:45 AM

Thanks, I'll try Minicraft, I brought a sample color to Mahogany and they screwed it up.

glassdave 03-21-2006 05:39 PM

yep . . just got some of that exact color from minicraft. Valspars Canary yellow to be exact. how much do you need? yellow can be difficult to mix in small batches and has to be put over a white base to cover best. many places wont mix less than 5 gallons of that yellow(minicraft will) . what are you working on? if you only need a bit for touchup i may be able to spare a few oz's.

Fast Shafts 03-21-2006 08:41 PM

Glass,
Thanks for the offer, but I'm looking fora gallon or two to regel the sides on a 24 Sunsation. The boat sat in the sun uncovered for a few years, when I removed the old vinyl graphics the hull was very shiny and new looking. Where there wasn't vinyl, it was dull and faded. Wet sanding did not help. The hull is yellow, and I'd like to spray the gel with a bit of Duratech, and then sand & buff.
You mentioned to spray over white? Can I spray Canary Yellow over the yellow hull?
I've read many of your post and think this board is lucky to have someone like you who often answers questions!
Thanks,
Bob G

glassdave 03-21-2006 10:35 PM

thanks for the compliment. actually i really enjoy helping people with there projects when i can. i get tech calls all the time and enjoy talking boats ( especially in the winter :D ) yes you can spray it over yellow but if you did any repair work it will take extra coats to cover in those spots or cover with white first. minicraft will mix anything you want and they are very fast to ship. the canary (valspar 5L-27) is a good color, bright. good idea to use the Duratech i use it all the time but tell them you plan to do that and they will make sure you have the right stuff. only use about 25% Duratech not the 50% that they recommend. i use a Devilbiss GTI gun with a 2.2mm fluid tip and it seems to lay it out pretty good for surface repairs.

FX10 03-22-2006 07:29 PM

Call minicraft. Give them the year and make of your boat, they'll send you the gelcoat. Make sure to get their reducer also. Helps the gelcoat spray and lay down better.