Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
question on repairing crack in the michelob lights deck, & resto pics >

question on repairing crack in the michelob lights deck, & resto pics

Notices

question on repairing crack in the michelob lights deck, & resto pics

Old 09-28-2006, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: question on repairing crack in the michelob lights deck, & resto pics

Originally Posted by Panther
I'm sure others will chime in but I'd repair it with Epoxy as well. Couple layers of Biaxial or Triaxial on top, then multiple layers underneath. If you have access underneath I would also see if a stringer can be glassed in place.

As for the side of the boat, it probably cracked when the hul flexed against the bulkhead. Did the bulkhead pull away from the side of the boat on the inside? To keep this from happening again, I've seen glassers make a 45* radius at the corners of the bulkhead so it's not a sharp 90* turn. I wish I had a picture to post to show what I mean cause it's hard to explain.

On the outside I would also grind out the cracked section at least 6-8 inches outside the crack, then fill it in with triaxial and epoxy, then gelcoat overtop.

Again, from my limited experience with fiberglass and boats this is what I would start with. There may be a better way and hopefully an expert will chime in here.
the crack in the side was repaired and has hled up ever since its the deck im concerned with now, i will p/u some triaxial cloth and start repairs this weekend. thx
Old 09-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Registered

Default Re: question on repairing crack in the michelob lights deck, & resto pics

Originally Posted by O.C.Barry
I agree with Panther's previous post but as for your idea of putting spruce or oak under the deck, I personally would not do that. You have to think of the physics involved; dissimilar materials flex at diferent rates. Something very rigid like oak is going to tend to split away from the fiberglass on the deck, because the deck flexes by it's design (as opposed to the transom which is basically fixed). I would sandwich Klegecell between layers of bi-axial and tri-axial. Being a foam core, the Klegecell will form well, give strength, and be flexible as well. This worked well on my old Top Gun and my old Coyote raceboat. You can get Klegecell from Fiberglass coating in St. Pete. 1-813-327-8117.

Barry
thx barry i'll give them a call
Old 09-28-2006, 12:39 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Make sure you grind the craks back from the outside and do the repair from the outside then do reinforcing on the inside. Epoxy is great but remember it could screw you if you plan to use polyester paint/gel on top.

Jon
Old 09-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just sink that barge, it will be better for all of us...
Old 09-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Make sure you grind the craks back from the outside and do the repair from the outside then do reinforcing on the inside. Epoxy is great but remember it could screw you if you plan to use polyester paint/gel on top.

Jon
i plan on using ppg k36 primer, and awlgrip snow white for the paint.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stecz20
just sink that barge, it will be better for all of us...
with talk like that i will find you in a week! you 609'er you...
Old 09-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ratman
thx barry i'll give them a call
I'll actually be at my place on Anna Maria Island for the second two weeks of November. So if you are in Tampa I may be able to eyeball the boat and give you some first hand solutions.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 09-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

with talk like that i will find you in a week! you 609'er you...
He's just a Piney! He runs he boat down in Bricktuckey!
Old 09-28-2006, 01:16 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

i plan on using ppg k36 primer, and awlgrip snow white for the paint.
I too like the K36 primer - good choice!

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 09-28-2006, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rat, a roll of duct tape, couple tubes of super glue and your back in bus!!!!! Good luck w/ your project! Wrink

Quick Reply: question on repairing crack in the michelob lights deck, & resto pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.