Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Transom rot! Looks like a long winter for me! >

Transom rot! Looks like a long winter for me!

Notices

Transom rot! Looks like a long winter for me!

Old 11-28-2006, 07:49 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Transom rot! Looks like a long winter for me!

You can get the DB glass with or with out the matt.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by offshore ginger
OFFSHORERAT BOY cool dude that you are going to use west system . i got my first experience working ,with fiberglass & epoxy , over thirty years ago building windmills for them . i still to this day use there product and so does skater . i have to say that thay make a resin , & hardner, which is called there tropical blend . i also can honestly say thay if you want a a lot more work time , and not have to work as fast you might want to consider this . i use this alot because the cure time is so much slower . just my 2 cents G. .G .
Thanks guy... I really don't need any more time than what I get out of the slow hardner but will consider it when I put the chop mat in that goes accross all of the wood sections (3 of them). thanks...

Joe
Old 11-29-2006, 11:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ted was very helpful thanks again for the refferal. Great guy had all the answers for me on the epoxy. You guys have provided all the rest...

Joe
Old 12-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well...this thing is kick'n my azz! I got the second layer of glass mat in. First I put one layer of 6 oz. cloth and two coats of epoxy. sanded the fisrt coat with 80 grit and then put on the second. Then I cut the wing sections and epoxied them in and put a layer of 6 oz. Then I sanded and made some nice fillets at the bottom and around the stringers. Tonight I put in a layer of chop glass matt. That sucked up a huge amount of epoxy but once I got in down and rolled out the folds it looks great. I plan on one more layer of 6 oz. cloth and one more of the chop, with two coats of epoxy over each layer. Sure glad I don't do this stuff for a living. My back and knees are kill'n me.
More pics to come...

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Transom rot! Looks like a long winter for me!-transomglass1.jpg  
Old 12-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

I love your brand new look!
Old 12-02-2006, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Told you it would be labor intensive!

Looks good Joey! Get that done and you can start on the fairing.

Rob
Old 12-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

No Fairing this year Rob, I think I got enough to do...Stop by the shop and I'll take you for an inspection tour

Joe
Old 12-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Okay...I got the transom done! YAHOO! Took about 75 hours all together. I wish the rest of the work was done. Now I must address the other end...YES you guessed it, the fuel tank bulk head is shot similar to offthefront's boat. There is no real attempt to make this part water proof on any boat. Vertually every boat that I work on has this problem if it is 15-20 years old. They don't even cover it completely with gel let alone glass. I will be cutting it all out tonight but you can see by the pictures what I'm gonna find. The big center stringer and port stringer is good but the starbord stringer has a bad spot... All because of 5 or 6 strap screws that were screwed in at the base of the sringer where water collects. I'm certain I'll have some ugly pics in the next day or two...

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Transom rot! Looks like a long winter for me!-transomdone.jpg   Transom rot! Looks like a long winter for me!-bulkhead2.jpg  
Old 12-04-2006, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What happened on my 311 was the side stringers sucked up the water from the foward bulkhead ....your right .. the bulkhead was a total loss ........m
Old 12-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You want a picture of what is to come? Just call me Mr. Doom and Gloom
Attached Thumbnails Transom rot! Looks like a long winter for me!-48-old-stringer-small-.jpg   Transom rot! Looks like a long winter for me!-14-lots-rot-small-.jpg   Transom rot! Looks like a long winter for me!-63-stringers-all-glassed-small-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Transom rot! Looks like a long winter for me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.