Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Gel coat paste?? Anyone use it?? >

Gel coat paste?? Anyone use it??

Notices

Gel coat paste?? Anyone use it??

Old 11-27-2006, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gel coat paste?? Anyone use it??

Just purchased a 99 Donzi 26ZX, I have a few nicks in the bottom, one is a bit more than a nick, but not real serious. It's about 3" long, & only about 1/4" wide, but I can see fiber. I've seen this stuff called gel coat paste. I called them & they said they can match my color. I'm very good with automotive paint & body, & I'm very familiar with fiberglass repair, but can't say I've every herad of this "paste". I'm assuming this is similar to a "bondo" type filler that is colored. My question, is this the final step, or do I need to spray gel coat over it? Can I spray gel coat with my automotive spray gun, or can I change tips to spray it? Boat repair is new, but I'm sure I can do the repair. Thanks
Old 11-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Gel coat paste?? Anyone use it??

Buy a quart of gel; add hardener and cabasil (spell?) and mix/stir to a paste. I believe Cabasil is a finely ground F/G fiber. You can then smooth with an oscillating sander or block...easy.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:59 AM

Thanks for the input, can the Cabisil be purchased at a marine hardware store? Or is this a speciality product? It does sound quite easy.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

yes the paste is just like bondo. i have used it many times for small area's, works well
Old 11-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used it also....it works well. put it on ,sand it out...wet sand ,compound, polish.....looked great. If you are a body and paint man, you should have no problem.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:54 AM
Registered

I have about the same project I'm about to tackle. I've used paste before but got some gel from my builder along with the catalyst since none of the paste suppliers carry paste for my boat.
The guy that got the stuff for me told me you can let the gel sit out exposed for awhile and it'll thicken up to more of a paste form, then just add your catalyst.
I like the idea of the Cabasil/hardner better but don't have a clue as to where to find it...
Old 11-30-2006, 10:36 AM

I've found the paste on a web site minicraft.com , they say they can match the Donzi white, being that it is on the bottom, being an exact match is not as critical. This stuff really sounds like the perfect fix for small dings, but I will look into the capasil mixed with the gel coat. Thanks for all the input.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gel Coat Paste Is Gel Coat With Cab-o-sil Powder To Thicken Into A Paste, Sorta Like Creamy Peanut Butter. Very Similar To Working With Bondo, But Takes Much Longer To Dry. Works Great! Allows You To Repair Your Boat Back To Original Gel Cote Surface. Sometimes It Blends After Wetsand And Compound,or Spray Gel Cote To Blend. Gel Cote , Even Reduced Is Much Thicker Then Paint, Use A Wider Tip. If The Fiberglass That You See Is Not Disturbed, Prep And Start With The Paste.
Good Luck
Old 04-21-2007, 11:14 AM
JLS
Registered

I tried the gel with cab-o-sil today and after it dried it just peeled off?? What am I doing wrong?

thanks