Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Going rates for wet sand/compound/wax? >

Going rates for wet sand/compound/wax?

Notices

Going rates for wet sand/compound/wax?

Old 11-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going rates for wet sand/compound/wax?

I'm going to pay $200 for compounding the hull underneath, transom, and waxing top and sides. The boat is a Formula 311 and sits on a trailer so they get an extra $75 to block it.
The previous owner had the top deck and hull sides wetsanded within the last year so they look perfect. But I guess the lift he had it on would let the running surface sit in the water occassionally, so it's got a scummy look to it.
It's also got some forklift rash, and I'm not sure if that will come out with just compound. I'm also removing a painted on name from the hull sides, that's why I'm curious about the wetsanding.
So for someone who doesn't have the tools or experience, I'm thinking it's not such a bad deal? What should I expect if I need to get some wetsanding done?
Thanks,
Michael
Old 11-30-2006, 06:30 PM
Registered

Default Re: Going rates for wet sand/compound/wax?

Hey Michael, The price sounds fair but then again it all depends on the condition of the boat. To remove the scum off of the bottom and transom I can agree with the price. If the sides and bow have been wet sanded in the past year then they should be about perfect depending on the enviroment. The sides and bow should only need a good hand polish. For removing the name and a light wet sand, if needed, I would think $40-$50 but it all depends on the condition of the boat and experience of the person doing the job. Also, you need to know what they are using on your boat before you agree to have it done.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:20 PM
Registered

I have no idea what stuff is good or bad. I think I'm going to try and remove the name myself; got a can of Easy Off oven cleaner.
I also got a bottle of On-Off to see what I can get off myself, if nothing else, for future self knowledge. I never realized that stuff gets applied with a paint brush...
The guy seems to know his stuff pretty well, does a lot of big boats.
What should I ask or look out for?
Thanks,
Michael
Old 11-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Registered

I would probably go ahead and let him remove the name. If you haven't done it before it would be the smarter move to put your finish in his hands. You don't want to be the one to mess something up. If you negotiate the removal upfront then he is responsible for providing the results without any bleed thru. The biggest obstacle we see is the final product that is put on the boat. No Carnauba, No Petroleum Distillates and No Polyurethane. If you get the name of the products he uses then you can find out the ingredients usually online. Donnie