Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Silicone around the windshield >

Silicone around the windshield

Notices

Silicone around the windshield

Old 01-05-2007, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silicone around the windshield

I was doing some winter cleaning on my, new to me 26ZX, & noticed the silicone around the windshield has some mildew stains on it. Of course it won't come clean, so what I was wondering....Can I silicone over this?, I had figured to run a tape line top & bottom of the seam (that is what it looks like they did at the factory) to maintain a straight line, lay a bead of silicone over the top, smooth out with the finger, & remove the tape....Is this common practice, or should I remove the old silicone? Then the follow up question, when is a good time to remove the tape? If I wait too long, the whole line will want to peel up, if too soon, it'll make one he77 of a mess ....anyway, looking for a lil insight...
Old 01-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Re: Silicone around the windshield

I don't think that silicon is too fond of sticking to itself .. I may be mistaken though .

I always tape off my work areas first to get a neat bead line and unmask as soon as I'm finished. That way the stuff won't be able to pull any more that the natural body of the goop will allow and the line always looks good.

If you've (carefully) tried a bleach cleaner (don't forget that Oxyclean works too) the mildew stain will further bleach out in the sun.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was afraid that fresh silicone would not stick to cured silicone....go figure...
I have tried bleach, but didn't get real aggressive with it, but now, the oxyclean, I never thought of that, I'll definetly give that a try. And I do like the idea of allowing the sun to work on it, maybe I'll just clean it the best I can, & give it the summer to see how it looks. Thanks for the input
Old 01-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

When I pulled my original (Donzi) steering wheel out of the bin where it's been for the last four and a half years while doing a total resto. it had gotten pretty badly mildewed too. (remember . it's got a rubbery white handgrip)
The pure bleach only took out so much and you could still see some residual stains that would'nt budge.
It was out of pure curiousity that I put it out in the sun for a few days , but it just about finished the job.

Bear in mind that while the sun 'cleans' the mildew on your windscreen frame it will be beating the chit out of everything else

Don't forget , you can mix Oxyclean into a paste and leave it on for a while !

At the risk of sounding like a TV advert , I'm outta here .

S
Old 01-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Tilex It Works Wonders. Also Try The Clorox Bleach Pen.