Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
what is the most durable clear for painting a boat? >

what is the most durable clear for painting a boat?

Notices

what is the most durable clear for painting a boat?

Old 05-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrunner
what is the best below the water line. Have seen ppg
bubble three times and am on my fourth redue . All prolems are below the water . Has enyone tried a flex agent?
No manufacturer "recomends" paint below the water line. That said history has shown us that Standox or Spies Hecker (sister products) have lasted up to three years. This is not on a boat that is always in the water usally a Friday thru Sunday and then on a trailer.

Flex agent with most paint products simply slows the curing process to allow assembly of plastic parts. The Spies and Standox product it actually becomes a part of the clear and basically makes it more of a polymer. This wont help with blistering but can help with scratch/chip resistance.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

R BEYER Did you use single stage or base clear. I see you have posted clear coat numbers. I had the dupont reps drop off a gallon of clear and 2 quarts of hardener. I am going to spray a few test panels. 1 with base and clearcoated. one based clear and flex additive, one base clear reduced 10%. and one over factory finish, no base. Then I am going to hang them in the canal (fresh water) just to see what happens.If standox products hold up under the water line it would sure make my life much more simple. 3 years and still looking great is awsome.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BOATMAN302
R BEYER Did you use single stage or base clear. I see you have posted clear coat numbers. I had the dupont reps drop off a gallon of clear and 2 quarts of hardener. I am going to spray a few test panels. 1 with base and clearcoated. one based clear and flex additive, one base clear reduced 10%. and one over factory finish, no base. Then I am going to hang them in the canal (fresh water) just to see what happens.If standox products hold up under the water line it would sure make my life much more simple. 3 years and still looking great is awsome.
It was base and clear. We put hardener in the base as well for better adhesion.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to use sikkens and faced one problem with their fast hardner
but now I switched to spies hecker
clear 8040 with 3344hardner and I am very happy
with result and shining