Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
what is the most durable clear for painting a boat? >

what is the most durable clear for painting a boat?

Notices

what is the most durable clear for painting a boat?

Old 02-21-2007, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the most durable clear for painting a boat?

i was just woundering what clear all of the custom boat painters are using on these big time paint jobs. i have been painting cars for years and i cant imagine a automotive clear holding up to bumpers rubing up against it, let alone the common dock bump
Old 02-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Used RM on my last one, as far as dock rash goes, only go as fast at the dock as you want to hit it . It held up very well with a little care, I think it easier to spot in a repair if needed.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Registered

You are going to get alot of different opinions on this question. I have been using Sikkens products to custom paint boats for over 11 years and it has not let me down yet. I was using it on vehicles for 5yrs prior to that. There are several other good products out there, this is just "MY" personal preferance, for several reasons.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:43 PM
Registered

Diamont is the answer. DONZI has been using it for ye ars as well as other builders. I have been using it from 97 on. We repaired 10 or so boats for them. I will never change.

Bill
Old 02-22-2007, 06:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bottoms Up
Diamont is the answer. DONZI has been using it for ye ars as well as other builders. I have been using it from 97 on. We repaired 10 or so boats for them. I will never change.

Bill
so this holds up well, how hard to is it to work with?
Old 02-22-2007, 04:56 PM

Diamont/RM is all I have used for over 15 years. Easy to use due to the fact that you don't need a bunch of different hardeners and reducers for each product, all the same down the line. Also, it sands and polishes beautifully!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Question clear coat

Question to geographics. Due you or have you had any problems with shrinking or building around the accessories after installation. Such as cleats, hatches port holes
Old 02-22-2007, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by BOATMAN302
Question to geographics. Due you or have you had any problems with shrinking or building around the accessories after installation. Such as cleats, hatches port holes
Shrinking or Building? Not sure what you mean.

Sorry!
Old 02-23-2007, 06:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GeoGraphics
Diamont/RM is all I have used for over 15 years. Easy to use due to the fact that you don't need a bunch of different hardeners and reducers for each product, all the same down the line. Also, it sands and polishes beautifully!
there are awsome paint jobs on your web page, most all of those boats have RM/Diamont clear on them? how does that stuff hold up to boat fenders rubbing up against them? thats my biggest concern.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:12 AM

Yes, all the boats Geo has done have RM clear. I have not had any complaints of such a thing. All my jobs have at least 4 coats of clear by the time I am done the final sanding and polishing. If anything happens such as scrapes or rub marks, they will polish out. One good example is the 40 foot Baja named "Will Power", it was taken very good care of and after 4 years it still looked like it was just painted.

I have used some other products due to product compatability issues and I just like the user friendy aspect of RM.

Thank You,

Chris Diamond

Quick Reply: what is the most durable clear for painting a boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.