Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fiberglass and Paint (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint-167/)
-   -   carnuba wax??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint/154610-carnuba-wax.html)

cstobe 03-27-2007 07:50 PM

carnuba wax???

I just read the series of posts about marine cleans new product. In the posts they were talking about carnuba wax turning white gelcoat yellow. How long does this take? last weekend I just used the maguires cleaner/polish on the deck of my fastec then followed it up with a coat of mothers carnuba wax!:eek: Should I use something to strip the wax? If so, any recomendations for a product?

cuda 03-27-2007 09:50 PM

We've used Carnuba wax for years, I've never experienced any yellowing.

Rippem 03-27-2007 09:59 PM

it doesn't turn gelcoat yellow. carnuba IS yellow and if you lay too much on I suppose it could be seen on a super white gel? I've owned 6 boats in the last 17 years and have at times used a wax containing carnuba on all of them. I have tried them all!
I am the fussiest f*** in my nieghborhood (ask anybody up here) and have never seen such a thing.
remembering of course that gelcoat is alive and needs to be replenished/fed with oils of somekind...
chalking is the release/loss of the oils/petroleums that give luster.
I suppose others will say that the silicones and the other trash in " boat" waxes does this, it doesn't, it only helps to seal in the vital oils already present.
Collonite's "glass insulator wax" is awesome for shine and durability (it is strictly a wax, not a cleaner), heavy on carnuba :cool:

marineclean 03-27-2007 10:32 PM

Carnauba comes in both White and Yellow.

And Yes, Carnauba will cause chalking and yellowing. Not to take just my word on the subject, but do some research. Why does fiberglass turn yellow when it sits in water over the years? Could it be that a yellow bottom is caused by the fiberglass not breathing?

We just finished a 36' SeaRay today that the customer has always keeped waxed and clean. I went over the boat inch by inch with the customer and found every spot he buffed with wax containing Carnauba. It is a known and researched fact that Carnauba seals fiberglass and doesn't allow it to breathe. If you want to use it on your car(painted metal suraface)your fine.

How do you know when it's time to wax your boat again? Does it start looking hazy, chalky, faded or feel almost sticky? Could it be the wax containing Carnauba breaking down?
Do you have to wax your boat every couple of months because of this problem? If the answer is yes then your are like everyone else that has used a Carnauba based product on their boat.

Hope this helps clarify a little bit of helpful information for our fellow boat owners.

Rippem 03-27-2007 10:57 PM

with all due respect, I think you may have misunderstood my post.

so what is you opinion on silicone bases and what they do to "feed" and replenish gel, and their effect on the porous gelcoat surface being able to breath?
UV is the primary enemy especially topsides, literally bleaching out the vital oils that give gel luster.

keeping in mind as I said I am an experienced 6 boat owner, totally retentive, and have a hot rod car background as well over 25+ years. I have alot of experience with detailing products, use. and result on both paint and gel
I suppose in the end analysis...I am speaking only from my own experiences...but they didn't start yesterday.

I am happy to part sponsor friendly debate here. :)

BY U BOY 03-27-2007 11:27 PM

dog will hunt:evilb: :D

marineclean 03-27-2007 11:33 PM

No problem, I am a researcher of waxes and ingredients and I think it's a good idea to air ideas and experiences on boat care. :)

1. Silicone Yes, but no more than 3-4%, it's a good moisturizer and works well as long as your not repainting soon.

2. When a Carnauba wax is created the UV Protection is added because carnauba is not naturally a UV inhibitor versus creating a polish/wax with a molecule(polymer)that will dissipate as one whole molecule instead of seperate.

marineclean 03-27-2007 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by BY U BOY (Post 2073293)
dog will hunt:evilb: :D

Experiences and Solutions. :D

Rippem 03-28-2007 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by marineclean (Post 2073295)
No problem, I am a researcher of waxes and ingredients and I think it's a good idea to air ideas and experiences on boat care. :)

1. Silicone Yes, but no more than 3-4%, it's a good moisturizer and works well as long as your not repainting soon.

2. When a Carnauba wax is created the UV Protection is added because carnauba is not naturally a UV inhibitor versus creating a polish/wax with a molecule(polymer)that will dissipate as one whole molecule instead of seperate.

but would you agree to carnuba's (as a natural oil) "moisturizing" qualities?

so when the UV inhibitors leave and the carnuba remains is wheer you would say the "yellowing" effect comes from?

Like I said I have never seen any indication of that on my boats, but then again I'm not exactly a "wax once a season" type of guy, so the inhibitors are being replenished before their baked off.

marineclean 03-28-2007 12:46 AM

Yes Rippem, I would agree with you about the initial quality of Carnauba, but it's the long term effects that get you.

Notice the first time you put it on how deep the shine is, but then starts to go away within the first month or two, so then you reapply. So then you after you reapply, it's time to do it again and then again......but then what happens when you go to long in between? Your finish looks terrible.

You are applying coat on top of coat with Carnauba. Now Remember, Carnauba seals fiberglass and dosen't allow it to breathe, so how can the moisturizers get through? You have literally caused your own problem and then add the Sun to it for two times the damage.