Shooting Gelcoat w/ Duratech

Notices

Shooting Gelcoat w/ Duratech

Old 04-27-2007, 03:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shooting Gelcoat w/ Duratech

Any of you experts here,
My question, when shooting gelcoat and using duratech I am not getting 100% everytime the cure or drying that is desired.
It also says that you can use PVA but that it is optional, from what that I have read about it. The PVA seems to help the cure but seems to leave some pattern on the gelcoat (might be putting it on to soon)
I shot an area with gel/duratech/2% Mek that dryed a little gummy on the outer layer. I let it dry two days, nice weather and didn't use the PVA.
I also got a can of surface hardner? and am unsure of the correct amount to add.
I am shooting some basic white gelcoat and like the way this stuff helps it flow. Thanks
Old 04-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

yes thats definetly to long. i have sprayed it a million times and i shot it at no more than 50% reduction and 2% catylazition. the instructions say 100% but i have found that to high. i also use pva once in a while but it isnt necessary. what are you shooting over? polyester gels sometime have a problem curing over some epoxies because of the amine blush. hope this helps
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 04-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Registered

Dave,
Thanks for the response!
I am shooting a Silverton, factory gelcoat 2002 model with gelcoat that I got from Silverton. Why would you use the PVA if it cures with out it? I don't get consistent cure mixing the gel/dura/mek. Several times tacky, several ok. Should I shoot more coats thicker coverage making it kick better? Any tips on this gallon of Surface Hardner stuff?
Thanks for your insight!
Jeff
Old 04-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

to be perfectly honest sometimes i get a bit over cautious if i am doing a job that cant have any set backs. i have had a cure out problem once in the past but it was an under catylization issue, also one other reason is that i am mixing it at half of what Duratech recommends so i dont really know how those ratios work out as far as what they have added to inhibit the air. Besides PVA is cheap stuff and i have a gun that always is full of the stuff.

I cant remember off hand but i think you catylize the the entire mix (gel and duratech not just the gel) to 2%. that could give you a cure out problem if you mix just the gel to 2% than add duratech.

if the gel is only gummy at the surface you should be able to shoot some more gell over that and get it to cure. how are you mixing the catylist and how big of an area are you spraying?

OK . . . now i hafta ask . . . do you really have a G.E. submarine?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 04-28-2007, 12:19 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glassdave
yes thats definetly to long. i have sprayed it a million times and i shot it at no more than 50% reduction and 2% catylazition. the instructions say 100% but i have found that to high. i also use pva once in a while but it isnt necessary. what are you shooting over? polyester gels sometime have a problem curing over some epoxies because of the amine blush. hope this helps
I also have found this to be true.. I cut down on the ammount of additive used.. I have also seen it weaken the color is you use ther recomended ammounts.. Therefore I have cut it down as well & have seen much better results & curing since doing so.. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 04-28-2007, 06:30 AM
Registered

The first time I shot it, I used a mixing cup and added 2% to the gelcoat only then added the duratech to the cup and stirred it up. I had the fun of getting all of it off. Shot again with 2% of entire mixture and used pva worked great. Tried again on a large area without the PVA let it set up outerlayer gummy. Acetone, sanded to solid dust from paper. Shot again with PVA good results. Shot some small areas with no pva that were also good. Still wndering about this surface harder any ideas guy's?
Thanks again! Dave and Donz
Old 04-28-2007, 06:42 AM
Registered

Dave,
The Sub is pre-fiberglass and pre-gelcoat. Solid steel held together mostly with rivets, rust and barnicles. I don't trailer it and mostly poach on the moorage, so the slip rental is not to bad. Just park her on the bottom and leave thru the torpedo tubes. Was thinking about some custom paint and JCMotors but Masher said.....
But maybe again,
I could have been mistaken

or over served?
Old 04-28-2007, 06:50 AM
Registered

Keep this to yourself please,
I am a couple of payments behind. Both G.E. and National Marine are looking for it but I disconnect the LoJack and put it on Reggie's Cat Killer, they can't seem to CATch him either!
Old 04-28-2007, 06:55 AM
Registered

Ok, OK,
I haven't made the first payment, yet. But I had a solid Bayliner trade-in that National never paid off either. I am just waiting for the title work on the SUB to get cleared up before I surface.
Could be awhile..................
Old 04-28-2007, 07:02 AM
Registered

Dave,
Can you do a camo-stealth paint scheme?
Something that still keeps the lines racy yet radar reflective?

Quick Reply: Shooting Gelcoat w/ Duratech

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.