Notices

Wet Sanding 101

Old 06-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by northernoffshore
Why don't you like the foam pads? Is wool that much better?

I actually prefer the foam to the point that I have the finish I want, then do a final pass with a wool pad to really bring the gloss level up there. When working compound or polishing material I find the foam holds the material longer and throws less off, you get more work out of less material. Again it's a personal preference thing. Most important thing is work with clean pads, change them often, and your work will go much easier.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:06 PM
NO WAKE ENFORCER
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99fever27
I dont have a high speed buffer but I do have some 2000grit and a orbital buffer. The deck of my boat has some slight oxidation that I cant seem to get with the orbital. Would I be okay by sanding with 2000 then follow up with the orbital and some polish?
get one of these you can't beat them for the money. A bunch of my buddies all bought them after they used mine. Its no makita or dewalt but it works well. And IMO I like wool pads, foam pads for removing swirls

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90820
Old 06-25-2007, 03:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 88formula223
get one of these you can't beat them for the money. A bunch of my buddies all bought them after they used mine. Its no makita or dewalt but it works well. And IMO I like wool pads, foam pads for removing swirls

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90820
Formula you are right on the money! I've got 3 of these in use right now and haven't had one problem.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:07 PM
NO WAKE ENFORCER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by marineclean
Formula you are right on the money! I've got 3 of these in use right now and haven't had one problem.
well if they have lasted for you thats saying something
Old 07-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Registered

Marineclean, What can you do to brighten up white gelcoat? My boat is white gel with painted stripes. It has had a couple of repairs in its life that were painted white, the painted spots come up much brighter than the gel.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DKerns
Marineclean, What can you do to brighten up white gelcoat? My boat is white gel with painted stripes. It has had a couple of repairs in its life that were painted white, the painted spots come up much brighter than the gel.
you almost answered your own question........"the painted spots come up brighter" painting is the way to go,, less fade etc....if ya can swing the bucks
Old 07-04-2007, 11:32 PM
Registered

Hey Kerns,

32 is right. You just can't seem to match aftermarket paint. You can try to wet sand, but I don't believe it will ever match. I would recommended using the same painter and color code. I've tried to match before myself and it is just not perfect. Do you know who painted the boat previously and what they used?

Donnie
Old 07-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Registered

The bows of th boats I have detailed have shined up without wet sanding I use 3m xtra cut compound and foam pad. Jus my .02.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by marineclean
Hey Kerns,

32 is right. You just can't seem to match aftermarket paint. You can try to wet sand, but I don't believe it will ever match. I would recommended using the same painter and color code. I've tried to match before myself and it is just not perfect. Do you know who painted the boat previously and what they used?

Donnie
I know that it will not match 100%, but would like to "brighten" up the gelcoat if posible. It seems to have an off white oxidation to it. Under the sunpad that I removed the gelcoat is bright white. Just looking to brighten it up a little.

Paint is out of the question this year, still spending money to get it on the water!
Old 07-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DKerns
I know that it will not match 100%, but would like to "brighten" up the gelcoat if posible. It seems to have an off white oxidation to it. Under the sunpad that I removed the gelcoat is bright white. Just looking to brighten it up a little.

Paint is out of the question this year, still spending money to get it on the water!
I understand about the paint. Have you tried to buff it yet? I would do a small area and see how it looks then consider wet sanding as the last option. It all depends on the condition of the boat.

Quick Reply: Wet Sanding 101

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.