Dupont Nason Acrylic primer. >

Dupont Nason Acrylic primer.

Notices

Dupont Nason Acrylic primer.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dupont Nason Acrylic primer.

I bought some Nason acrylic primer and paint to refinish bolster bases with. I didnt really have time to do base/clear so the salesman told me that acrylic was an easy to use single stage process. I asked for application direction sheets and he didnt have any (that should have been my first clue to walk out the door)..anyway, he told me the mixing ratio for the paint and to just thin the primer with laquer.

I thinned the primer with laquer as told and went to spray. This stuff is comming out of the gun like silly string, blowing in the wind like pure accetalene ash out of a blow tourch. It dries the seccond it touches the air. I tried thinning it more becase I thought It was just a little on the thick side to begin with, cleaned my gun and tried again. Same result.

What am I doing wrong here?
Old 07-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

if you just need to prime some seat bases i would get a spray can of SEM's self etching primer. comes in red ,black, gray, green or white. stuff works great and would probably be better than the Nason stuff anyway. not sure why its reacting like it is but most likely it does not like the thinner you are using.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 07-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

and its actually pretty good stuff

hows it going GG my friend. i was at the Fountain factory the other day. cool stuff. I still want you to give me a guided tour of Skater though
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 07-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On all my aluminum parts I used Nason's epoxy primer then painted everthing with Nason Ful-Thane sigle stage paint which came with a hardner and reducer. Idiot proof to apply and very durable.
Attached Thumbnails Dupont Nason Acrylic primer.-p1010251-medium-.jpg   Dupont Nason Acrylic primer.-p1010252-medium-.jpg  
Old 08-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I`ll assume you meant that you thinned with laquer thinner.

What ratio did you mix it ?

I`d recommend enamel reducer. Buy the correct # for the temp you`ll spray in.

Nason is a great product, when used properly.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would use a expoxy based primer.. like dp 40 ppg.. it will keep them from chipping much better.. the spray can will work but it will chip easer.. your best bet is to have them powercoated... for less that you can buy quality paint & primers.

let me know if need any help
Jeff

http://www.jeffsautobodyshop.com
Old 08-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Registered

google is a wounderful thing.

http://http://www.performancecoating...421-23_pds.pdf
Old 08-18-2007, 11:51 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Not quite the real thing, but I painted these two boats with nason products. 2PK self etching primmer, adhesion promoter, flex agent, nason full thane, and nason clear. These are fiberglass and do just under 70mph (the cat), (Didn't clear the top for the deep v).
Attached Thumbnails Dupont Nason Acrylic primer.-dsc01083.jpg   Dupont Nason Acrylic primer.-dsc01055.jpg   Dupont Nason Acrylic primer.-dsc01059.jpg  

Last edited by kevwil2; 08-19-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:52 AM
Registered

nason is the cheap end of dupont. try using a slower drying thinner or reducing more. there is a lso a product called retarder if your spraying in really hot conditons. i would believe that you have an incorrect ratio that your mixed at.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Registered

I'm curious on your spray gun setup? What type spray gun is it, tip size and aircap? What air pressure were you using? Was your fluid nozzle opened up all the way?
Have you sprayed paint before?

One thing to keep in mind is all paint will look good when properly applied. The type of paint and the preparation to the substrate including which undercoat you use will determine how long it will shine, how long it will last and the scuff & chip resistance (adhesion) etc...?

If you are unfamiliar with painting like glassdave recommended then the spray can of self etching primer is a very good foundation over properly cleaned and prepared metal and FG surfaces. Most brands can then be painted with a topcoat aerosol can over top, preferably an enamel aerosol can.

customryder and US MUSL are right on with the epoxy being the best primer (undercoat.) I totally agree with them and most brands will give you very good adhesion and topcoat holdout.

Quick Reply: Dupont Nason Acrylic primer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.