Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Transom/Stringer Replacement >

Transom/Stringer Replacement

Notices

Transom/Stringer Replacement

Old 09-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes go to the West System website and reread the Primary/Secondary Bonding notes. Any resin (including epoxy) needs mechanical help for proper bonding on cured resins. It's called grinding and sanding. You need to do proper prep work. Once that is achieved polyester resin over cured polyester will work fine. Save your money!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:16 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Or if you want an inbetween solution go with Vinnylester. Not much more money then Poly but much stronger and a MUCH higher bond coeficient to old glass.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

ditto to what Audio said
Old 09-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I fiberglassed to day,came out good so far,took some pics,i'll postem soon!!! tripps
Old 09-30-2007, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jez350
Hi,

I intend on rebuilding the transom & probably some stringers in the near future on my 34 Scarab. I read a lot of previous threads & all prove most informative. I really want to stop rot once & for all & have decided that coosa looks to be the go. I can't seem to find any threads on a complete coosa project? Are there any pitfalls or things to watch out for going this way?? Does anyone have a complete instruction for this??

Thanks in advance
Jez,I'm getting into the same job on my Stinger and am going to use Coosa on it. I talked to a guy in the south who uses it exclusively and guarantees his transoms and stringers with a lifetime transferrable warranty! I emailed him and he was very helpful with how to prep everything and what to do. His work really looks top-notch. I know you talked about a lamination of Coosa, but they have thicknesses up to 2", so you really don't need to unless there is an ulterior motive. Have you contacted Coosa to ask them what product you should use in your boat, or have you passed on the composite thing all together?

Here is the reply I got when inquiring about Coosa...

Thank you for your email. Yes, our Bluewater 26 is the material that 98% of our OEM customers use in their transom applications. It is available from 0.25" up to 2" thick. It does not matter whether you laminate 0.75" material together to meet your desired thickness or use a single 1.50" or 2" piece (use the thickness of your current transom). The strength is the same. It basically comes down to your preference of labor - if your transom is large whereas you yield only one per 4x8 sheet, then it might save you time to just buy the sheet in the full thickness you need. If your transom is small and you can yield several per 4x8 sheet, then it would save you money to buy the 0.75" material and laminate them together - depending of course, how many you can get out of a sheet.

Our material does not absorb water and is not subject to rot, fungus, mold, etc. It can be easily fabricated with standard wood-working tools and works well with all typical marine resins - epoxy, vinyl ester, poly ester. You would glass in our material the same as you would plywood.

Thank you for your interest in Coosa Composites. Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Donaldson
Coosa Composites LLC
(205) 663 - 3225 ext. 106
[email protected]
www.CoosaComposites.com

Hope that something in there is helpful to you and remember--POST THOSE PICS!!!
Old 09-30-2007, 11:23 PM
Registered

CCstinger,
I have to replace the transom & stringers in my 21-v and was considering Coosa's Bluewater 26 product or marine grade plywood. One sheet of 3/4" marine grade ply costs me about $75. Would you mind sharing the Coosa prep info the builder passed on to you?
Thanks!
Dan

Originally Posted by CCstinger260
Jez,I'm getting into the same job on my Stinger and am going to use Coosa on it. I talked to a guy in the south who uses it exclusively and guarantees his transoms and stringers with a lifetime transferrable warranty! I emailed him and he was very helpful with how to prep everything and what to do. His work really looks top-notch. I know you talked about a lamination of Coosa, but they have thicknesses up to 2", so you really don't need to unless there is an ulterior motive. Have you contacted Coosa to ask them what product you should use in your boat, or have you passed on the composite thing all together?
Old 09-30-2007, 11:26 PM
Registered

Dan, I'll look for his email and get back to you soon.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Registered

I used coosa to replace transom, floor and stringers. Really easy to work with. I used systems 3 silvertip epoxy and it worked out great.
Transom

Stringers

Sole

Swim platform
Old 10-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=mtnrat;2290583]I used coosa to replace transom, floor and stringers. Really easy to work with. I used systems 3 silvertip epoxy and it worked out great.
QUOTE]

Really nice job. What kind of boat?
Old 10-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Registered

It is an old 18ft 1981 Campion. My wifes father bought it for her when she was out of high school. Because of the sentimental value, I spared no expense bringing it back to better than new. I also faired the hull and painted the whole boat with 2 part polyurethane. Ran very well this summer, but it wants to go faster. I am now building a new engine for it.
Here is the finished product.

New interior. Did it all except for the sewing.

Quick Reply: Transom/Stringer Replacement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.