Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
30 Scarab Panther Paint >

30 Scarab Panther Paint

Notices

30 Scarab Panther Paint

Old 11-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

As a distributor of coatings I will again state that non of them are recomended below the water line in automotive or fleet/light industrial regardless of prep work sealer primers, etc. You can find Standox at a DuPont distributor that carries a European line.
Go to performancecoatings.dupont.com to find one near you. I can't say that Standox will hold up forever but after three years mine looked great.

Most epoxies are a sponge and soak up water and will fail. I cannot speak for those that are designed specifically for the marine industry.
Bob
Old 11-07-2007, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint

galcoat holds the best .I just did one for a guy it looks like a new bottom. its a lot of work but it pays in the long run.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by RBeyer
I don't agree. I am a a distributor of Imron and some other DuPont products. Imron is a great product and I painted my last boat with Imron and later painted it again with Standox another DuPont product. After 3 years the Standox looked like the day it was painted the Imron gassed in one year. It did not spend long durations in the water if you leave it in all the time I would consider something else, no automotive/fleet product is recomended below the water line for an extended period.
My $.02
Bob
any good deals on paint?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:42 AM
Registered

Gosh batman Dupont hasn't improved Imron in all these years, try the other stuff, why do you keep saying automotive? I think they put the same paint on airplanes don't they. Sits on a runway in the hot Texas sun what 120 degrees plus then climbes to 40,000 feet in minutes and it's cold up there notice contrails that's ice crystals forming from the superheated exhaust, and yet they still have Imron on them when they come down. I'm all for new stuff, but everyone asks for Imron because it is the industry standard, some people are willing to pay extra for the best. don't believe me try it yourself.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Go Big or Go Home
Platinum Member

No Awl grip below the water line an epoxy is probably the way to go if you are going to paint. Obviously gel coat is the best option but it is very time consuming and has a large margin for error if you do not have experiance blocking sanding buffing polishing. It would have to be one hell of a boat for me to want to gel coat it. just my .02 cents
Old 11-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Registered

As far as i can research it seems that imron is the way to go, although there seems to be some controversy about some of the other options.Gelcoat i have never done nor do i know anyone who has , so ill stick to the easier Option - Imron
Thanx yall Ralph
Old 11-11-2007, 03:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The best boat paint ever made was Amerflint. Too bad it's gone. I've painted a number of boats in Imron and then sprayed 3 coats of 500 clear with outstanding results. I've also tried epoxies- they are often harder but they'll check in flexing areas- it's too hard. Epoxy doesn't always hold up as well in UV so darker colors will wash out faster. We spray the Imron industrial in the shop and it lasts very well on industrial equipment. Not the prettiest stuff though. When DuPont says you need a fresh-air source when painting, they're no BS'ing. Imron will F-up your lungs. About 10% of people who expose themselves to it suffer permanent lung damage in one application. You may not even be able to buy it as a civilian anymore.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
The best boat paint ever made was Amerflint. Too bad it's gone. I've painted a number of boats in Imron and then sprayed 3 coats of 500 clear with outstanding results. I've also tried epoxies- they are often harder but they'll check in flexing areas- it's too hard. Epoxy doesn't always hold up as well in UV so darker colors will wash out faster. We spray the Imron industrial in the shop and it lasts very well on industrial equipment. Not the prettiest stuff though. When DuPont says you need a fresh-air source when painting, they're no BS'ing. Imron will F-up your lungs. About 10% of people who expose themselves to it suffer permanent lung damage in one application. You may not even be able to buy it as a civilian anymore.
It's been 20+ years since I've heard about that stuff. Thanks. True, protect yourself with any polyisocyinate product this includes any urethane.