Painting trailer >

Painting trailer

Notices

Painting trailer

Old 11-29-2007, 10:31 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff - epoxy can be tinted to any color you want, and they often come in standard stock colors. Std painting practices will have you apply contrasting colors of primers Vs top coats to insure complete and full coverage when applying the finish coat of paint- However, do not be confused - Epoxies chaulk/ fail when exposed to sunlight- never use a conventional epoxy out doors exposed to sunlight - Epoxy will work under the hood of your car all day, inside a building etc... but when an epoxy is used as a primer and is going to be sued outdoors it MUST be topcated with a protective coating with UV blockers or Absorbers - that's why a typical high performance coating such as aliphatic urethanes are used
Old 11-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the procedure should be.

Wash with degreser
Scuf the metal
Paint with acidic primer
Paint with and epoxy base
then spray top color example is purple

i was hoping to use a top coat that i would not have to clear
Old 11-29-2007, 11:44 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Jeff - Many automotive paints use an alkyd phenolic as a base coat clear coat system - this sytem offers advanatges in the automotive industry - but tat the end of the day the automotive top coat is an aliphatic acrylic clear coat - You can do the same thing with a pigmented or color coat - clear coat also add depth to a paint job - You are supposed to get laid with the boat not the paint job on the trailer - Pick a brand and use the recomended components with in that brand. It is all expensive but you can make a mess using components that are not compatible. If you are trying to save money buy cheap beer -
Old 11-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

James, the boat did get me laid. Thats why i named it TROUBLE MAKER ..LOL So my wife wants me to concetrate on other things now...LOL We will save that story for another thread..
Old 11-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Registered

degrease and acid wash then coat with carboguard 893 and top coat with carbothan 134hs.

You dont need to much epoxy just enough to hold the top coat.
maybe 2 mils.
make sure you have enough of a profile to hold the epoxy to the aluminum.

also you can use the international 670 and 990 system which is a little cheaper than the carboline.

I can order this for you and pick it up locally in houston if you choose to go this route.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

By U Boy has it right - the urethane lieted above will be less than $ 100.00 per gallon and the epoxy mid $ 50.00 range - generically the right stuff to use - read the directions - sweat in time, tempratures, wet film thickness, mix ratio etc..... stuff is on the lable for a reason -
Old 12-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Registered

Just get dupont self etching primer and then two part single stage Imron any color you want, no fuss no muss. period.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

What kind of acid do i use to acid wash the trailer with? I have some muradic acid will that work?
Old 12-30-2007, 08:25 AM
Registered

Default I forget what they call it but use the

print method of grinding disc and give it the machined look.

milled look. It looks like little circles everywhere and you will never have to worry about they paint chipping?
Bill Kosick

Bottoms Up
Old 01-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Myco has painted a few of there aluminum C-channel trailers, and they look AMAZING. ASG has one that matches his 39TG, and it looks awesome.

Quick Reply: Painting trailer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.