Bare fiberglass spots on bottom >

Bare fiberglass spots on bottom

Notices

Bare fiberglass spots on bottom

Old 12-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bare fiberglass spots on bottom

I have a couple of spots where the gel is rubbed through on the bottom of the hull. What can I use to repair these area's? Do I have to spray gel, or could I use awlgrip? This is a trailer boat, and does not stay in the water more than a night or 2.

Thanks,
Frank
Old 12-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Call me ya squirell
Old 12-06-2007, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have it resprayed w/ gel coat. I wouldn't go the paint route, it will chip and break off as you hit the bunks on your trailer.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Registered

Should respray with gelcoat.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:08 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You do not have to spray Gel. You can brush or roller it. Then wet sand and buff after.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
You do not have to spray Gel. You can brush or roller it. Then wet sand and buff after.
That will work too, I just haven't had the best of luck with the brush as I seem to get low spots (lines) from the bristles.

Another thing you can do is add aerosil to your gelcoat a little at a time until it makes a putty. You can then use a spredder to apply it (similar to body putty). Then wet sand and buff it out. I would only go that route if your low spot is more of a chip. If you spray it, you can get an aerosol can with a glas bottom/jar it screws on to and spray the gel out of that to save time not having to go through the hassle of prepping and recleaning your paint gun. They can be bought at about any auto parts store or paint supply store. I can't remember what they are called but someone will know. I used them alot just to save time on small jobs and when spraying on docks, etc... Good luck with it.

Brandon
Old 12-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Registered

Default Preval sprayer

Great invention. You can actually build the area up and load gel on without running. Sand and buff after that. The gel will not last long on a boat that sits in water but it will not rub off as easy.

Hope this helps.

Happy New Year

Bill Kosick
Bottoms Up
Old 01-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Registered

Preval, thats what I was talking about! Thanks Bottoms Up. While working at the marina I used those more than any of my spray guns for small repairs.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Registered

If You Use Duratech Hi Gloss Additive With The Gel And Thin It With Mek And Catalyze At 2% With Mekp It Will Spray In The Prival Great And Does Not Need Much Wet Sanding Or Buffing.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I got a gallon of gel and a quart of duratec. I'm guessing I should catalize both of them seperate then mix together. Right? My plan is to use my gravity hvlp gun with a 2.0 tip and spray it. I have to do my transom also, that's why I got so much material. I don't have any mek, but I guess I should have some on hand in case I have to thin it out to get it to spray.
Anyone ever spray gel with a regular gun? How did it work for you?

Thanks,
Frank

Quick Reply: Bare fiberglass spots on bottom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.