building new cabinets >

building new cabinets

Notices

building new cabinets

Old 01-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question building new cabinets

I am in process of updating the cabinets in my 30' baja. It is a 1991 and really outdated with the formica coming loose square corners etc. The old cabinet was coming apart from the years of rough water abuse. My question is what do I build the cabinet out of? I can get the box part and doors but what should I put on the counter top? Looked at starboard but you cannot glue it and it expands and contracts alot according to their site. Maybe just use it for the counter top? Looking for suggestions. Tried to price corian at Lowes and they will not give you one without instalation!!?? I figured the amount of material I would have to have and I could build everything with a peice of material 2' X 12'. Is there an alternative to corian?
Thanks
Old 01-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Corian in my Ocean. It was 3/8 thick and built up on the edges. Try a small cabinet shop, they may sell you a sheet.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

corian isn't bad. It's not the easiest thing to make, so as wahoo said, ask a small shop because they will be more willing to work with you than a big one.

If not corian, I'd buy a new formica one again. The new formica colors look like granite, and are usually cheap.

Also, if you don't mind the weight you could buy granite tiles and just tile over the existing top. The tiles are usually sold 12X12 and installed with a very small grout joint.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Registered

Thanks for the ideas, I am calling around looking for a small shop. Looked into the granit just for the hell of it....going to add about 350 lbs or so. Too heavy. Have even thought about making a top of 3/4 plywood and covering it with a sheet of stainless. Have not really looked at the formica tops, did not like the edges where you can tell that it was put together.
Thanks again
Old 02-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tickfaw,
Here is a link to my project that I am still in the process of completeing. But you where wondering about counter top material. I used white Acrylic because thats is what formula used in 2000, but there is other colors of Acrylic and some that look like corian/granit.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ght=357+update
Old 02-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

look into SSV(solid surface veneer) instead of Corian. basically the same material as Corian but laminated onto a wood base giving you a lighter construction and easier build. I did Corian in a boat once and wish i hadn't, it was nice but very heavy and in the end the weight was difficult for the structure to support in an offshore boat.

I do have a piece of Corian leftover that is about 2 foot by 3 foot. Its white with grey flecks if you are still interested. (a good friend is a dealer)
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 02-25-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:20 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by srl520
Tickfaw,
Here is a link to my project that I am still in the process of completeing. But you where wondering about counter top material. I used white Acrylic because thats is what formula used in 2000, but there is other colors of Acrylic and some that look like corian/granit.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ght=357+update
Nice job on that! Very nice
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 02-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Registered

Man that looks great!!! Never thought of that. Where do you find acrylic sheets? How do you fasten the sheets to the plywood? Started on my cabinets this week but still have not decided on top. Did find some nice looking formica stuff and brought samples home. Thanks for the offer on the corian glassdave. That would not be enough though for I am doing both sides of boat.Thanks for the help.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

wilsonart also has some nice stuff... given the fact a counter in a boat isnt very big, try wholesale distributers..EB Bradley and Lewis & co are on the west coast..you should be able to buy a "broken" piece fairly cheap, as they come in 8-10 and 12' lengths.. a 3~4 broken piece is waste to them and the stuff gets damage in shipment and around the warehouse frequently..the SSV dave mentioned is an option but you will need to seal it good, as the factories use the cheapest MDF they can find for layup, MDF and the moisture of boating arent the best combination. to lighten the weight of corian,gibralter etc, thats simple, simply plunge router the underside in a web pattern similiar to what you see in some alum. components, strategically done you can cut the weight in half and then some while still maintaining the strength. also check the cabt/countertop fab shops for broken chunks, broken chunks are also good to practie your fab techniques.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tickfaw,

I built the complete unit in the boat out of plywood and then and then used the wood as a pattern to build the Acrylic cabinet.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: building new cabinets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.