Notices

Awgrip

Old 04-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awlgrip

Help!!! I just had some scratches and gouges repaired on my V. With huge communication issues the person doing the job sanded the bottom and rolled the Awlgrip (shark white). The glass work came out great, I’m just not extremely happy with the final finish of the Awlgrip. Are you saying that it should be wet sanded and the buffed with compound? Or should it be wet sanded and re-applied with a spray application? The person doing the job is suggesting nothing else can be done! Your suggestion are greatly appreciated!!!!

Last edited by 31scarab31; 04-13-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Registered

Location: Ocean Pines, Maryland. Wish I was at MANGOS in MIAMI!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

31scarab31, I asked my painter about your question, is the paint on the bottom. If so.......he's telling me that awlgrip should not be used below the waterline per manufacturers instructions.

Otherwise either of the things you have suggested can be done.

But as mentioned in the previous thread, sanding is an issue and according to my painter it will void the manufacturers warranty.

Hope it helps

Pulled this off of Awlgrips page, I will try to find more about sanding.

Features and Benefits - Topcoats
Awlgrip
Alwcraft 2000

Polyester Urethane Topcoat
For years, serious boat owners have demanded Awlgrip coatings
systems to protect their valuable investments from harsh marine elements.Awlgrip provides a durable high gloss finish to wood, fiberglass, aluminum or steel and can be applied with a roller, brush or spray gun. With its superior resistance to sun, saltwater, chemicals and abrasion, Awlgrip is ideal for coating everything from topsides, cabin tops, decks and masts to engines.
Long lasting; high gloss
Superior resistance to sun, saltwater, chemicals and abrasion
Appropriate for use on fiberglass, steel and wood
Low maintenance
Above the waterline use only Available in quarts and gallons
Custom colors available
Back to Features & Benefits main page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Acrylic Urethane Topcoat
When topcoat application conditions are far from ideal, Awlcraft 2000
is the coating that will deliver a smooth, high gloss finish. Producing a rich lustrous finish similar to our famous Awlgrip, Awlcraft 2000 is ideal for use in situations where dust or fluctuating temperatures are a potential problem or where faster project turn-around time is critical. Its unique, fast drying formula helps reduce dust-free time between coats.
Easy application
Quick drying
Long lasting, mirror-like finish
For use above the waterline only
Custom colors available
Back to Features & Benefits main page

Last edited by Enforcer2; 04-13-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Registered

Location: Ocean Pines, Maryland. Wish I was at MANGOS in MIAMI!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's more about polishing and sanding

Do Not
Do not use traditional waxes. General: Traditional waxes break down rapidly. The residue can cause the topcoat to appear yellow, plus it attracts dirt. This creates the need to maintain the wax, increasing overall maintenance. Traditional waxes which contain no abrasives probably do little harm to the coating, but offer no benefit.

Awlgrip has developed Awlcare Protective Polymer Sealer (73240) for those who want to enhance their finish and need the additional cleaning power of a hand applied, dry wash product. Awlcare is a non-yellowing sealer that will protect both Awlgrip and Awlcraft 2000 with regular applications. Hand applied Awlcare will not harm Awlgrip's topcoats and can easily be removed with Awl-Prep Plus-T0115 (or T0340 Surface Cleaner in Europe) when it is time to repaint.

Awlgrip Only: Regular applications of Awlcare will help temporarily seal and restore shine to painted surfaces that have become porous due to age or mistreatment, helping to maintain a satisfactory appearance until there is time to repaint.

Awlcraft 2000 Only: Awlcare Protective Polymer Sealer will help maintain the gloss on Awlcraft 2000 topcoats with regular applications. Especially those which have been buffed or polished. Remember, Awlcare is only applied and buffed by hand. Never apply or buff Awlcare with a machine.
Do not use abrasives, scratch pads, or compounds. Scratching the surface gives dirt a place to cling while wearing out the resin layer. Using abrasives of any kind will reduce the overall life of the finish and voids the Awlgrip Limited Warranty.
Do not allow contact between Awlgrip or Awlcraft 2000 Topcoat and teak cleaners. Most teak cleaners contain acids or caustic agents that stain and discolor an Awlgrip or Awlcraft 2000 Topcoat.
Do not allow metal polishes to dry on the surface of Awlgrip or Awlcraft 2000. Metal polishes may discolor and stain the painted surface. Metal polishes contain acids. Rain water and dew running off metal fittings will spread metal polish residue onto the paint surface and will etch and dull the paint finish. Washing freshly polished metal fittings thoroughly with Awlwash and water can help eliminate polish residue and reduce the metal polish run off.
Do not use strong solvents (e.g. lacquer thinner, M.E.K., acetone) to clean Awlcraft 2000, Awl-Brite or Awlspar Varnish.
Do not allow wet equipment (e.g., seat cushions, coils of line, sails, sail covers, coolers) to trap and hold moisture against Awlgrip or Awlcraft 2000 Topcoats. This condition can result in blistering or delamination of the Awlgrip or Awlcraft 2000 Topcoat.
Do not use acrylic Teflon coatings over an Awlgrip or Awlcraft 2000 Finish. Use of these coatings void the Awlgrip Limited Warranty. Awlgrip and Awlcraft 2000 winter storage
Do not "shrink wrap" or tightly bind Awlgrip or Awlcraft 2000 Topcoat surfaces with plastic wrappings.

When tarping a boat for storage, the cover system should be ventilated to allow the coating system to "breathe". Covers and tarps, whether synthetic or natural fiber, should not be pulled tight to surfaces painted with Awlgrip or Awlcraft 2000 Topcoat. This condition can trap and hold moisture on the surface and may result in loss of gloss, blistering, or delamination of the topcoat.
Caution should also be used to ensure that the tarp does not chafe against the Awlgrip or Awlcraft 2000 Surface. Such chafing, especially when accompanied by airborne dirt, can abrade the surface and cause premature loss of gloss.
Back to Application Guide main page
Old 04-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Registered

With that being said, it was applied under the waterline and the finish is not to my expectations due to being hand applied with a roller or brush. The boat is still at the shop that has done the work, what should I do to get a smoother, glassy, faster finish? I would like to show up at the shop to let them know that I am not happy with the finished product and this is what should happen to get the job finished properly! Thanks for the information and help!
Old 04-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 31scarab31
With that being said, it was applied under the waterline and the finish is not to my expectations due to being hand applied with a roller or brush. The boat is still at the shop that has done the work, what should I do to get a smoother, glassy, faster finish? I would like to show up at the shop to let them know that I am not happy with the finished product and this is what should happen to get the job finished properly! Thanks for the information and help!
wetsand using a wetsanding block and then ploish.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:19 PM
Registered

Monstaaa,
Any Particular Polish?
Old 04-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Registered

Monstaaa, thanks for the help! I just would like to see it looking shiny and fast before it goes back on the trailer.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

then a sanding you will go,,,,,,,

good luck.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Registered

the ONLY rubbing compound i found that works on awlgrip is 3m perfect it 3000 extra cut its non gritty and leaves a great shine after wet sanding flat
Old 04-20-2008, 07:57 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

It wasn't that you cant buff it its that you shouldn't buff it. I believe all the UV protection is at the surface and if you take that off it can effect the life of the product. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong. Has anyone buffed it and been able to monitor the surface over time to see what it does? Curious about the stuff because its not something i use regularly
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 04-20-2008 at 08:00 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.