Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Bonding USCG plaque to the Hull, what type glue? >

Bonding USCG plaque to the Hull, what type glue?

Notices

Bonding USCG plaque to the Hull, what type glue?

Old 06-12-2008, 09:23 PM
Z06
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bonding USCG plaque to the Hull, what type glue?

I have a new USCG plaque from Bernard engraving to bond to the hull inside the bilge. Bernard suggested to epoxy it since it is required to be a permanent mount. The plaque is 19" x 4" x 1/16" thick plastic and of course the hull inside is white gelcoat.

I don't have much experience with epoxy and don't want epoxy glue running out from under the plaque as it's drying.

Any suggestions on type of epoxy and how to keep the stuff from running down the hull side?

I've also considered 3m automotive molding tape, but that won't be exactly permanent.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get epoxy putty, sticks, or you can use quick set 5200.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Registered

3M 5200 will be permanent enough!!
Old 06-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Registered

Tape below the plaque before mounting...
Old 06-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Z06
Registered

Thank you, I didn't know if the 5200 would be capable of bonding the two together, but I like that idea. I will look for the epoxy putty sticks, or 5200 quick set.

Thanks again!
Old 06-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06
I have a new USCG plaque from Bernard engraving to bond to the hull inside the bilge. Bernard suggested to epoxy it since it is required to be a permanent mount. The plaque is 19" x 4" x 1/16" thick plastic and of course the hull inside is white gelcoat.

I don't have much experience with epoxy and don't want epoxy glue running out from under the plaque as it's drying.

Any suggestions on type of epoxy and how to keep the stuff from running down the hull side?

I've also considered 3m automotive molding tape, but that won't be exactly permanent.

Thanks

Is that the plaque that says not to dump oil over board? I removed mine while redoing the boat and lost it.Now I hear its a big fine if you dont have it so I need to know where to get one.Also in the body shop we would use a row top and bottom of the automotive moulding tape and you would have to rip the bulkhead off to remove the plaque.

Thanks Anthony
Old 06-14-2008, 12:47 AM
Z06
Registered

Originally Posted by nordic95
Is that the plaque that says not to dump oil over board? I removed mine while redoing the boat and lost it.Now I hear its a big fine if you dont have it so I need to know where to get one.Also in the body shop we would use a row top and bottom of the automotive moulding tape and you would have to rip the bulkhead off to remove the plaque.

Thanks Anthony
Hi Anthony, the plaque I'm refering to is one that is required of USCG documented vessels and has 3" numbers engraved for the document number assigned to my boat. The requirement is that if this plaque is attempted to be removed it will leave obvious evidence of tamper on the inside of the hull and break.

The USCG informational plaques (required by law for all boats) can also be ordered from Bernard at the link below. The top 2 are required for boats longer than 26'. They are plastic and much better looking than vinyl ones from other boating supply stores. I used the 3m auto tape for the oil discharge plaque to adhere to the bottom side of the bilge hatch and it hasn't budged.

Bernard Engraving Corp.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06
Hi Anthony, the plaque I'm refering to is one that is required of USCG documented vessels and has 3" numbers engraved for the document number assigned to my boat. The requirement is that if this plaque is attempted to be removed it will leave obvious evidence of tamper on the inside of the hull and break.

The USCG informational plaques (required by law for all boats) can also be ordered from Bernard at the link below. The top 2 are required for boats longer than 26'. They are plastic and much better looking than vinyl ones from other boating supply stores. I used the 3m auto tape for the oil discharge plaque to adhere to the bottom side of the bilge hatch and it hasn't budged.

Bernard Engraving Corp.

Thanks for the link.I just ordered my plaque.

Thanks Nordic95