Repaint Boat Trailer

Notices

Repaint Boat Trailer

Old 06-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repaint Boat Trailer

Has anyone repainted a boat trailer? If so how did you go about it or who did you have do it? Cost?

I have a 2004 25' Nordic Rage factory trailer that is stored out doors (w/o boat) in Missouri. The paint is literally falling off the metal in spots do to rust where there is zero breach of the paint film integrity. Anywhere there are nicks/chips in the paint that is rusting profusely as well. I have had other boat trailers with epoxy and with Imron paint and they held up very well in similar environment. The paint itself on the Nordic trailer seems to be porous and allowing mositure to migrate through it. I imagine I will have to strip the paint, sand blast the rust and then prepaint. I need all the help/guidance I can get on how best to do this.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have it sand blasted and primed with a coat of zinc then hit it with an epoxy and then the top coat. Its alittle overkill but you won't have to worry about rust again.

I will be doing this with mine pretty soon and was qouted 800 to blast and zinc it. I was going todo the rest myself.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

What kind of place quoted the trailer sand blast and zinc prime? Auto body shop? Other?

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
Have it sand blasted and primed with a coat of zinc then hit it with an epoxy and then the top coat. Its alittle overkill but you won't have to worry about rust again.

I will be doing this with mine pretty soon and was qouted 800 to blast and zinc it. I was going todo the rest myself.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rage
What kind of place quoted the trailer sand blast and zinc prime? Auto body shop? Other?
I use to be a paint rep for an industrial company so i knew some people. If you goggle sand blasting in your area you should be able to find someone. Just make some calls and see if they can prime the trailer with an inorganic zinc.Most probably they will be able to do the whole job should take about 3 days depending on weather.

If you don't want to go that route you can sand it yourself and use an epoxy mastic like Carbo mastic 15 the shot it with a urethane.For really bad rust spots that you can't get sanded out with out blasting you can use a rustbond sealer.

One other option is a DTM(direct to metal) paint. Some of the DTM is pretty durable But if you chip or scratch it,it will rust.Think John deere they use a DTM.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

What would be a branded name(s) for an inorganic zinc primer you mention.

I use to be a paint rep for an industrial company so i knew some people. If you goggle sand blasting in your area you should be able to find someone. Just make some calls and see if they can prime the trailer with an inorganic zinc.Most probably they will be able to do the whole job should take about 3 days depending on weather.

If you don't want to go that route you can sand it yourself and use an epoxy mastic like Carbo mastic 15 the shot it with a urethane.For really bad rust spots that you can't get sanded out with out blasting you can use a rustbond sealer.

One other option is a DTM(direct to metal) paint. Some of the DTM is pretty durable But if you chip or scratch it,it will rust.Think John deere they use a DTM.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:56 AM
Registered

I like the Carboline Carbo zinc 11. Make sure the place that does it uses an agitated pot for the zinc.

http://msds.carboline.com/website/carbmsds.nsf/(all)/EE85B7C262CB5DE48525705A00434C29/$file/Carbozinc+11+HS+PDS+11-06.pdf
Old 06-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks.

I like the Carboline Carbo zinc 11. Make sure the place that does it uses an agitated pot for the zinc.

http://msds.carboline.com/website/carbmsds.nsf/(all)/EE85B7C262CB5DE48525705A00434C29/$file/Carbozinc+11+HS+PDS+11-06.pdf
Old 06-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

How does this Carboline stuff spray?

The reason I ask is that I sprayed Sherwin Williams commercial fast cure Macropoxy 646 epoxy this winter and it was barely sprayable in a pressure pot. It redefined worst case orange peal surface finish as well.

Is there a simple way to make an unagitated pressure pot into an agitated pressure pot?

Old 06-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rage
How does this Carboline stuff spray?

The reason I ask is that I sprayed Sherwin Williams commercial fast cure Macropoxy 646 epoxy this winter and it was barely sprayable in a pressure pot. It redefined worst case orange peal surface finish as well.

Is there a simple way to make an unagitated pressure pot into an agitated pressure pot?
It sprays great very easy to lay down a nice coat. It comes as 2 parts.Part A is liquid and part B is the zinc powder thats why you need the aggitating pot or the zinc will settle. No smple way to make an agitated pot.

There is a reason this stuff is used on oil rigs. It WORKS!

Last edited by BY U BOY; 06-17-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Trailercoat is a good paint if you don't want to go through the multi stage process.

You will have to get the rust off no matter what though.

Quick Reply: Repaint Boat Trailer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.