Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
need idea put on paper who can help do this?? >

need idea put on paper who can help do this??

Notices

need idea put on paper who can help do this??

Old 06-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Yo Stecz...this should help

Mr Big Shot showin' off his big box of crayons! We'll see just how big you are when you break the tip of one off in the built in sharpener!...................
Old 06-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Home now Stecz, send me what ya got an give me a buz when ya can.

[email protected]
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 07-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glassdave,

If you dont mind me asking, can you tell me where you got the vector art for the boat's and is the art 3D so it can take into consideration the way the bow pitches and rolls as it meets in the front and at the V.

Thanks
Jim
Old 07-30-2008, 08:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackJack58
I think somebody already stole your idea...
G@@d one now thats funny
Old 07-31-2008, 12:12 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 502ss
Glassdave,

If you dont mind me asking, can you tell me where you got the vector art for the boat's and is the art 3D so it can take into consideration the way the bow pitches and rolls as it meets in the front and at the V.

Thanks
Jim
I do my 2D stuff in CorelDrawX3 and 3D in Rhino and i make all templates and artwork myself. I have been working with this software for a while and most times it is easier to just do my own originals plus they are the way i want them. If you need anything just let me know and i'll see what i can do. Yes they can take into consideration the various contours (or can be set up to).

Rhino is very cool but it is a 3D modeling tool and not as helpful for graphics. Mostly i do the perspective stuff off the top of my head in Corel and adjust the graphics by eye. What are you using for software?

I did these for Paul Boudraoux just to see what an existing graphic would look like in different colors.
Attached Thumbnails need idea put on paper who can help do this??-mti12.jpg   need idea put on paper who can help do this??-mtiblueblue.jpg   need idea put on paper who can help do this??-mtigreyblue.jpg  

Last edited by glassdave; 07-31-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:36 PM
Registered

I am using photoshop and illustrator for the visual rendering and I use a 3D modeling package called Unigraphics NX. My issue that I have been struggling with is that the flames I plan to put on the boat (See attached image) have been generated as vector art within NX and then imported into photoshop for rendering. The problem with photoshop is that it doesnt take into consideration the sweeping bow as it transitions from the deck to the V. The only way I see to get those flames to print correctly is to model a 3D representation of the hull in NX so the contours of the vinyl graphics come out right. This is not complicated for the software but more time consuming transfering all the coordinate information form the actual hull into 3D space. When I saw your wireframe images I wasnt sure if they maybe took into consideration the 3rd dimension of the hull.

Originally Posted by glassdave
I do my 2D stuff in CorelDrawX3 and 3D in Rhino and i make all templates and artwork myself. I have been working with this software for a while and most times it is easier to just do my own originals plus they are the way i want them. If you need anything just let me know and i'll see what i can do. Yes they can take into consideration the various contours (or can be set up to).

Rhino is very cool but it is a 3D modeling tool and not as helpful for graphics. Mostly i do the perspective stuff off the top of my head in Corel and adjust the graphics by eye. What are you using for software?
Attached Thumbnails need idea put on paper who can help do this??-scarab-flames-single-color.jpg  
Old 07-31-2008, 01:05 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

i have both 2d and 3d templates but no corolation between the two. Usually i do top and sides on 2d templates and adjust on the fly to compensate for the rise and rake of the bow. Its really about the only place on a boat that needs this attention and most times i will take a few reference measurements off the individual boat and "bend" the artwork accordingly in Corel. I have been wanting to use Adobe AI and also FlexiSignPro, i have both, but have been using Corel so long it just seems to work for me and I have had zero issues with it. How do you like AI?
Old 07-31-2008, 04:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
i have both 2d and 3d templates but no corolation between the two. Usually i do top and sides on 2d templates and adjust on the fly to compensate for the rise and rake of the bow. Its really about the only place on a boat that needs this attention and most times i will take a few reference measurements off the individual boat and "bend" the artwork accordingly in Corel. I have been wanting to use Adobe AI and also FlexiSignPro, i have both, but have been using Corel so long it just seems to work for me and I have had zero issues with it. How do you like AI?
AI is good but I mostly use it as a transition tool to get my vector lines out of NX and into some AI format. Photoshop on the other hand is amazing. I designed the flames on my jet boat using photoshop and then took the tif image to a wrap place and let them print them full color!

I am not to familiar with flexisign but I use LXI master which I am guessing is similiar. I guess I will have to model the layout of the hull for my flame pattern, the design is very specific to try to cover the existing paint on the boat so it has to be exact, This should be fun!

P.S. Those cat renderings look sweet!
Old 07-31-2008, 07:25 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

I use Corel as my main graphics design tool and i can jump back and fourth between PhotoPaint (corels version of PhotoShop) if i need to. Than i dump the vector files to a cut program i have. I guess Corel has an add-on program for cutting now but for the time being what i use works well. What kind of cutter are you using? I have a 42 inch Graphtec that is an absolute workhorse and is unbelievably precise (even over long cuts).

Thank you for the compliments on the artwork.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:36 PM
Registered

I use a 30" Roland camm-1 pro. It is also quite accurate on the long runs, it just likes to have space to spit the vinyl out of both sides so when I am cutting something long I roll it into the middle of the room so I have plenty of room on the front and the back of the machine. Do you print your own or just mostly single color stuff?