What is good for this? >

What is good for this?

Notices

What is good for this?

Old 06-20-2008, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is good for this?

Does anyone know the best way to get 10 year old vinyl name stickers off of a boat without damaging the gel?

Is there any kind of remover I could buy or do I just have to use a razor blade and be extremely careful?

I am not looking forward to this task at all.

Thanks,
Chuck
Old 06-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Registered

DO NOT USE A RAZOR BLADE!

Use a heat gun and the vinyl will come right off. It may be too hot to touch with your fingers so pick up a plastic putty knife to help with the scraping. Keep moving the heat gun so you don't damage the gel.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:56 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Go to an auto body supply store and pick up an Asrto eraser. its a rubber wheel you put in a drill and it pulls off the linyl. works great.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-25-2008, 07:13 AM
Registered

Default stickers STUCK

BE VERY CAREFULL WITH THE HEAT GUN OR JUST USE A GOOD HAIR DRYER ON HIGH FAN MAY TAKE JUST A LITTLE LONGER BUT IT's SAFER AND PEAL BACK WITH YOUR FINGERS .
Old 06-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Registered

I'm going to throw this out there, yawl can correct me if I'm wrong. Take a razer new blade take it to a window or windshield of a vehicle. Place it like you would be scraping paint off of the window. Just use one side do not turn it over. You are trying to roll the edge of the blade or dull the edge on one side. Go back in forth about 50 time just like you were scraping paint off. After you dull or roll the edge you can scrape fiberglass and it wont dig in or scratch it. Use the heat gun also. I have used a razer to get overspray off auto paint as well as fiberglass after rolling the edge.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by B one
I'm going to throw this out there, yawl can correct me if I'm wrong. Take a razer new blade take it to a window or windshield of a vehicle. Place it like you would be scraping paint off of the window. Just use one side do not turn it over. You are trying to roll the edge of the blade or dull the edge on one side. Go back in forth about 50 time just like you were scraping paint off. After you dull or roll the edge you can scrape fiberglass and it wont dig in or scratch it. Use the heat gun also. I have used a razer to get overspray off auto paint as well as fiberglass after rolling the edge.

yep, dulling the blade is important. I will hafta try that trick, i usually use a piece of 1000 grit and it works pretty good but your tip is interesting and sounds like it works good. one other thing worth doing is to round of the corners at each end of the blade slightly. i also use a piece of fine sandpaper to radius them.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Registered

If you value your time and have a lot to do go with astro eraser. I picked at mine with razors and the heat until I gave up. I was very impressed with the astro eraser (It removes the adhesive also); I bought the tool and the wheels and did the whole boat in about 4 hours. Just watch the heat with that also, I got the gel a little hot in one area taking off the scarab logo. I had two 3" stripes down both sides and a 1/4" black pinstripe on the deck.

Jim
Old 06-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me know if you need any help......I removed the painted name and vinyl port city off of Stalkin's Tiger a couple years back. Came off perfectly.

Like others said......don't rush it......and don't get it too hot. Use the gun on low heat and let the decal come up to temp over a couple minutes, to allow the glue to release.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Registered

I went to an auto supply house as Dave suggested and the rubber wheel was the ticket. Best 13 bucks I ever spent!!!
The vinyl came right off and it didn't leave any markings whatsoever.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!!!!