Glass work on old vette

Notices

Glass work on old vette

Old 08-20-2008, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glass work on old vette

Hey glass dudes!

I have a buddy that caught me doing glass work on my boat. He's asked me to help him "Bondo" up his 69 project vette. He's determined to do this job on his own so it's the least I can do is try. We've been friends the last 20+ years so either way it's all good. It's free beer too

I learned everything I know from this forum and school of hard knocks. I would say I have enough experience now to be dangerous. What scares me most is that I only have experience with epoxy. I used some fairing stuff over primer that was polyester based that's about the extent of my ester experience.

The vette body he just bought looks like it was someone elses forgotten project. There is raw glass work in the fenderwell and a lot of goobering up in other spots. I guess whoever started forgot to get the sandpaper?

Anyway, before I get too carried away with pics and stuff, do you guys mind helping me again... only this time with a car? I trust the opinions out here over so called local glass experts.

Last edited by jackhammer; 08-20-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look at the bright side- if you really f- something up, it still won't sink.

The toughest thing with a vette is getting straight panels. Virtually non-pro jobs I've ever seen were wavy. Alot of the pro one's too.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did bodywork for a while whats do you wanna know?
chris is right though we did a few vettes and basically you gotta start from nothing,especially if other people have messed with them previously its usually better to re-do their work from the beginning, don't take parts off of course but bad glass/bondo work will re-appear quickly if not done correctly
Old 08-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Registered

This is what we're starting with... craziness.
Attached Thumbnails Glass work on old vette-fr_dr.jpg   Glass work on old vette-rr.jpg  
Old 08-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Registered

This is an example of some of the glass work. This to me looks like normal epoxy resin? Can I use my favorite 635 from US Composites?

I haven't seen it up close yet but it either looks like it wasn't wet enough (where it looks kinda white) or it's already delaminating. I'll get a closer look this Friday. Is that a good glass choice?

If it's a good bond, cleaning this up will be a good start being hidden and all. If this were in my bilge I'd start by cleaning it up a bit with a 50 grit grinder
Attached Thumbnails Glass work on old vette-hidden-glass-work.jpg  
Old 08-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Registered

I'm not sure what this is. Boat guys don't do this do they? Is this ok in the car world? Should this be jus filed down and then faired out?
Attached Thumbnails Glass work on old vette-rear-goober-job.jpg  
Old 08-20-2008, 10:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think you can make a bad choice on materials. It was built with a chopper gun application using polyester resin. Anything but epoxy should be just fine.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:36 AM
Registered

Barry Glovik from the Cat-Can-Do race team did this one:
Attached Thumbnails Glass work on old vette-67-corvette-001.jpg   Glass work on old vette-67-vette-002.jpg   Glass work on old vette-67-vette.jpg  

Old 08-21-2008, 09:04 AM
Registered

No Epoxy? rats! I know nothing about using poly. I suppose we can buy some and do a couple practice pieces. I went back to US Composites and the selection is maybe not so simple for me. I've been using their 635 thin (slow curing, non-blushing) with good results.

Is there a beginner friendly version of the poly I should try?

Last edited by jackhammer; 08-22-2008 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:34 AM
Registered

Look on the bright side, If it looks bad when your done, you can always grind it off and start over, (before the paint)

I started doing my own surfboard repair, then made hood and roof molds and parts for the racecar, but exterior fill and finish sanding was my biggest challenge.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Glass work on old vette

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.