Dust Collection? >

Dust Collection?

Notices

Dust Collection?

Old 10-06-2008, 03:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dust Collection?

What does everybody use for collecting the dust when cutting/grinding/sanding fiberglass? Shop vac, small dust collector, large dust collector, home-made contraption?
Old 10-06-2008, 07:23 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This dust can really be harmfull as you well know, first proper resperators, long sleeve shirts, eye protection, gloves, ventalated area. A wet floor will help to collect the dust and use dustless or vacuum sanders when sanding. These tools can collect over 98% of dust. I know it's a pain to do all this but after you get the job done you will at least done all you can to keep this out of your system. I'v seen guy's just go at it without anything to protect theirselves, hacking / coughing / spitting and even spitting blood. Don't go there. Do it right and be able to enjoy the hard work without sacrificing your body. Your family loves you and wants you to live a long time without taking care of you and the machine that is hooked up to you so you can breath.
Attached Thumbnails Dust Collection?-sander_rentppt.jpg  

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 10-06-2008 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

V.V. is right on, there are some great dust collecting equipment out there. Dont forget ear protection and another trick to keep the dust off yourself is to dump a bunch of baby powder inside your shirt and down your back. Actually helps quite a bit.

You can also get a decent home shop dust collector from Harbor Freight that can be used in any number of ways. I sometimes just tape the hose right at the area i am grinding and it knocks down the dust tremendously.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Registered

Thanks for the responses, if I have to sand/grind inside I usually use a shop vac with a filter bag and a pleated filter and put it in the dust path to suck up as much as possible. Or I have a small 3M HEPA suitcase vac that I stick the hose in the back of my sander. I was looking at the smaller dust collectors from Harbor Freight/Northern Tool but they all had re-usable bags, so it kind of defeats the purpose to have a bag that I then have to empty the dust out of to use again, unless there is a way to line it with a trash bag or put it on a drum. I used to work in a wood shop and they had two huge, 4x55 gallon barrel collectors but I think that's a little overkill and too pricey for what I need!

And respirator use should go without saying.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:30 AM
Registered

Came across this the other day, this is only a place that makes this particular design, pretty slick tho. I'm going to get one of the shop-vac ones only because I don't want to fool around with trying to make one. There is a link to where you can download files to build a full-size unit. Even the manufactured ones are pretty reasonably priced, and clear too!

http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/
Old 10-21-2008, 04:43 PM

I have always just used a shopvac. It helps, but is not the best solution for sure. The baby powder definately helps, and it makes you smell fresh.