Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
cuting fiberglass? sound system >

cuting fiberglass? sound system

Notices

cuting fiberglass? sound system

Old 10-08-2008, 06:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you know what's behind the hole you're about to cut. There could be wires, lines, cables or the outer hull. Even if you don't cut through, you really don't want a hole in a space that's not as deep as the speaker you want to put in there.

Wanna' know why the professionals charge what they do? There's a thousand ways to f this up and only a small number of ways to do it right.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Make sure you know what's behind the hole you're about to cut. There could be wires, lines, cables or the outer hull. Even if you don't cut through, you really don't want a hole in a space that's not as deep as the speaker you want to put in there.

Wanna' know why the professionals charge what they do? There's a thousand ways to f this up and only a small number of ways to do it right.
Ain't that the truth. I have seen a set of speaker holes carved right into the top edge of a glassed in gas tank once. I have seen a head unit cut out go right thru the windshield wiper wiring harness. I have seen a sub cut out under a rear seat go thru the main battery cables and switch. I have a speaker cut out in a liner boat go thru the gas tank fill tube and vent line.
The installer was obviously a genious on the last one. I was looking for a fuel smell the customer got every time he gassed up. The installer used a piece of 3/4 inch steel electrical conduit to reconnect the two ends of the vent line which were about 8 inches apart No clamps, tie wraps He used plastic pcv pipe to reconnect the 1.5 inch fill hose. He did use clamps on that one.

The best one was a 19 couigar tunnel with a big arse amp screwed thru the bottom of the boat. Screwed it right to the trailer bunk in the tunnel. Genious I say, pure Genious.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpacker
Ain't that the truth. I have seen a set of speaker holes carved right into the top edge of a glassed in gas tank once. I have seen a head unit cut out go right thru the windshield wiper wiring harness. I have seen a sub cut out under a rear seat go thru the main battery cables and switch. I have a speaker cut out in a liner boat go thru the gas tank fill tube and vent line.
The installer was obviously a genious on the last one. I was looking for a fuel smell the customer got every time he gassed up. The installer used a piece of 3/4 inch steel electrical conduit to reconnect the two ends of the vent line which were about 8 inches apart No clamps, tie wraps He used plastic pcv pipe to reconnect the 1.5 inch fill hose. He did use clamps on that one.

The best one was a 19 couigar tunnel with a big arse amp screwed thru the bottom of the boat. Screwed it right to the trailer bunk in the tunnel. Genious I say, pure Genious.

in my biz i've had to repair some of that kinda stuff from local installers. One time this shop was doing an install in a high end ski boat and the installer thought he'd put in several of those nice loom clamps to make the job nice an clean. . . . .ended up with six drywall type screws poking right out of the side of the boat. . . . inside looked great though lol.

Great suggestions here. Roto zip works pretty good and yes use the tile bit. My tool of choice for this kinda job is an air powered reciprocating saw or saber saw, makes less of a mess.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 10-08-2008, 08:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by caseyh
i would like to put a sound system in my boat but the speaker shops wont way to much to install it. whats the best way to go about cutting and placing the spkers? i have a 2000 baja 25 outlaw. i am only 21 and new to the go fast boat seen any help would be great!
Heres my tool list for a speaker install:
Roto Zip saw. 5" hole saw (will fit most 5 to 6" speakers),Jig saw with reverse pitch scroll blades. lots of painters tape.Tape measure, small level, dry erase marker to mark cut outs and other points of interest. Safety goggles(very important, trust me on that one. I can still see the scar in my eye in certain light conditions) dust mask, nitrile gloves, long sleeves ( taped to gloves to keep the itchys out) and a good shop vac. Its so much easier to suck up the bulk of the flying fiberglass as you cut it than it is to clean it up afterwords. Use painters tape to affix the end of the vac hose right under where you are cutting. Small amount of resin and hardner to seal all holes you cut thru glass and wood. Most importantly, common sense to look BEHIND where you plan to cut BEFORE you do!
Old 10-08-2008, 09:11 AM
cloke

Originally Posted by Airpacker

Are the initials of the genius SR ???

Old 10-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cloke
Are the initials of the genius SR ???
Ahhh, thats not nice. I always look before I leap, or in this case cut.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:56 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
How does your Baja not have Gel Coat???? Baja's only use in gel graphics with some special order exceptions where the graphics get painted. If the entire boat is yellow, its probably yellow gel coat. It could have been cleared over, but I highly doubt it. Either way, It has to have gel coat even if it is painted or cleared over.

Speaker holes are nothing to cut. You can use a sabre saw with a scroll bit, roto zip, dremmel, etc. Its really no different than cutting wood other than the fiberglass is a lot harder.
yes the graphics are a special order. from what i am told there was 8 all yellow hulls with purple slash and black checkers made. i have no clue if its tru i have seen 2 others and all have said to be 1 of 8 ( i dont know if thats true). i cant place pictures on here(http://bajaboatsforsale.com/premiumc...ieds00388.html) thats the boat just not mine. does any one know the story behing the only 8 of them with that pait job?
Old 10-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I'm betting that the hull is all yellow gel coat. The graphics are painted and then the entire sides are clear coated over. Any chips or nicks could be fixed with just gel coat and blended in.

Again, cutting speaker holes is not that bad. I just got cutting 2 holes for subs. Follow all the advice everyone has posted. I use a Dremmel with a roto zip cutting bit, cut the hole a 1/8 inch small and then grind out the edge with a rasp on a drill.

Last edited by Griff; 10-08-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also if your cutting the hole for speakers make sure you purchase the speakers first. Different companies use different sizes could be off a 1/4 inch and you will have a larger hole. I drilled 6 holes 2 for subs and 2 for the 6.5 and made 2 larger for the 7.5's. Again just make sure you measure and makes sure that is where you want them. Measure behind where there going to go and make sure it is deep enough to install them there. The speakers you buy should have a templet so it will make it easier for you to install.