Refinishing bottom of hull >

Refinishing bottom of hull

Notices

Refinishing bottom of hull

Old 11-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
t500 what kind of spray wax are you using? I boat in some pretty murky water if i run up any of the rivers here in lake erie and i get some pretty bad discoloration that only comes off with muriatic acid. I dont keep the boat in the water and would like to spray something on it before i put it in.
Dave ..... how do you do the Muratic Acid? Full strength? Pump up sprayer? How long do you leave it on?
Old 11-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get staining really bad here in SD. Believe it or not, you can simply buy the "Hull Cleaner" from West Marine and it works like nothing I've seen. My buddy said to spray it on and then just rinse. NO Scrubbing or even any wiping!!!! I called him on it as it sounds to easy but stuff really works. Spray it on dry, watch the yellow stain begin to run. Then when you hit it with water the hull is as white as the day you bought it. Truly has to be the most labor free solution I can think of.

Regarding the posts about the bottom and the idea of re-gelcoating??? I just took my boat in last week to have it blue printed. After lifting it completely off the trailer, we found that the boat was basically screwed. Apparently, someone re-sprayed the bottom for some reason in the past and left it a state that is far different from factory. Make sure if you re-spray that your guy knows what he's doing and that he's using straightedges etc... I have lots of area that is supposed to be sharp with aggressive angles and it took pulling the trailer out from under it to realize that all that extra gel coat turned everything into radiuses and it's not a cheap fix.

There's been a lot of discussion on this topic. I'll come back and post results if it nets me anything noticeable whether it be speed or just ride and handling. I currently have to use quite a bit of port tab when on plance. Expecting to see this change a little.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by brwn234
The bottom of my hull is stained. I know this has been gone over a million times but I'm trying to figure out a real solution. The bottom of my hull is no longer glossy. It's kinda chalky and becomes stained easily. Rather than acid washing it every time, I want to fix it. If I wet sand, buff, polish and wax will the gel still stain? Buffing the bottom will be a biatch so I wanna make sure it's worth it before I start.

I thought about using one of those fiberglass refinishing kits like, PolyGlow. But I've heard mixed reviews.
Unfortunately, you won't be able to fix with new gel. It will still turn yellow-brown after a while. May just take a little bit longer but not much.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I boat in Lake Erie and I rack store my boat. I've never had a problem with bottom staining. I wax the bottom one time per year with 3M Cleaner Wax or 3M Restorer Wax and any minor staining comes completely off. I also wipe down the boat after each use. I've heard that Muriatic Acid works great, but once you start using it, you can never stop using it.

Last edited by kjm5125; 11-16-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kjm5125
I boat in Lake Erie and I rack store my boat. I've never had a problem with bottom staining. I wax the bottom one time per year with 3M Cleaner Wax or 3M Restorer Wax and any minor staining comes completely off. I also wipe down the boat after each use. I've heard that Muratic Acid works great, but once you start using it, you can never stop using it.
Yeah that's why I was pushing the hull cleaner. acid is more harsh both, on the gel and yourself. it's nasty stuff but has its place for definate.

the stains i'm talking about are more saltwater. it's actually a growth that shows as a stain.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:41 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by offthefront
Dave ..... how do you do the Muratic Acid? Full strength? Pump up sprayer? How long do you leave it on?
i use a pump sprayer mixed at about 5 or 6 to one and i use that Sno-Bowl bathroom cleaner. works great. only takes a few minutes keep it wet and use a cleaning pad like the magic erasers. Dont forget to use gloves, the stuff can be harsh.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by kjm5125
I boat in Lake Erie and I rack store my boat. I've never had a problem with bottom staining. I wax the bottom one time per year with 3M Cleaner Wax or 3M Restorer Wax and any minor staining comes completely off. I also wipe down the boat after each use. I've heard that Muriatic Acid works great, but once you start using it, you can never stop using it.
if i stay in the lake i never have any staining problems, just when i spend time up any of the rivers. I have been using it (sno-bowl) only when necessary for several years and no problems. Boat always looks bright white. Boat gets cleaned and stored on trailer but some of these rivers over on our end are pretty murky with who knows what. I often wondered if there is any long term affects but after 3-4 years i havent seen anything.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Registered

just a tip for you guys using acid on the bottom of your boats- put the acid in a plastic paint tray and use a paint roller instead of a sprayer, the acid can get on your skin and easily burn you. If you get a little bit of acid on your skin you may not even realize until you already burn.

The roller method also makes it really easy to see what you have left to do and uses less acid then spraying.

Alot of guys around here complain that after a while they cant get the bottom of thier boats clean without acid and alot of work, in those cases they get them painted and from then on its soap and water and the bottom always looks shiny and clean with no stains. If the bottom of the boat is in good condition you can save yourself some time and money and just paint right over the PROPERLY sanded gelcoat.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a tip for you guys. Clean the bottom up really good, then use "Future" floor finish on it. It's an acrilic floor sealer. I have been doing this for a few years with great results. Just squirt it on a sponge, wipe it on and let it dry. Do 2 or 3 coats and it will last most of the season.

Frank
Old 12-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ls1nova
Here's a tip for you guys. Clean the bottom up really good, then use "Future" floor finish on it. It's an acrilic floor sealer. I have been doing this for a few years with great results. Just squirt it on a sponge, wipe it on and let it dry. Do 2 or 3 coats and it will last most of the season.

Frank
That's way too much work for me!! I'd let you try it on mine though..

Quick Reply: Refinishing bottom of hull

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.